harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Warning Students About the Freshman 15 is Unhealthy & Unhelpful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The eager, young incoming freshmen who enter college campuses ready to start their new lives as adults are often advised by others to “study hard,” “keep your grades up,” and the pinnacle of all college advice: “watch out for the freshman 15.” Sure, it’s important to warn young adults not to stress-eat or overuse dining hall swipe cards during their first year of college, but this “advice” is not truly worth mentioning to potentially self-conscious young adults who already face anxieties and expectations regarding college life.

In fact, those who give this “advice” may not have accurate information about the mindset or mental health of this student. For all they know, the young adult could be focused and self-driven. They may even be a student athlete who is prepared for an intense exercise and diet regimen. On the other hand, the student could have an eating disorder, as do 32% of college-aged females and 25% of males (both numbers, of which, are on the rise) according to a study by the National Eating Disorders Association.

As a matter of fact, the potentially hurtful term “freshman 15” has been proven inaccurate to the general population of freshman in college. Fifteen pounds is above the average amount of weight gained, if any, by students in college. In reality, according to a study in Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism the average weight gain is between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds. Although around 70% of students are reported to have gained weight by the time they graduate, in many situations, there is little to no weight gain at all. Certain students in particular may even take on a healthier spin on their lives as they enter college.

Image via The Daily Illini

Many strive for healthy lifestyles in college; as a result, healthy living can serve useful purposes in other facets of student life. For instance, a recent study by North Carolina State University indicates that students who exercise maintain a higher graduation retention rate and higher GPA. Beyond that, these researchers discovered that around 50% of students exercise less than once a week, which, although a disheartening statistic, does show some potential for half of college students.

Luckily, the prevalence of exercise beyond competitive sports is greatly increasing. Fitness programs such as CrossFit, spin classes, and barre classes are on the rise around the country. CrossFit is changing the game for young athletes who are not able to stay fit during their off-seasons or want to prevent injuries. As a result, more students are joining these healthy trends and staying fit during the school season.

Those who advise others about the freshman 15 may simply need to put their advice into perspective. Unbeknownst to others, the start of freshman year of college could signify a fresh beginning and new healthy mindset for a student. The student may also have dealt with issues regarding body image or eating disorders in the past and this reminder could cause more physical or emotional distress.

All in all, students should stay aware of their emotional and physical health regardless of the freshman 15 myth in order to have the best possible experience during their first year of college and in years beyond.

Phoebe Doscher

Gettysburg '22

Phoebe is a freshman at Gettysburg College originally from Sandy Hook, CT. She enjoys writing, musical theatre, and the color pink.