“Toto, I Don’t Think We’re Surrounded by Liberals Anymore….”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

On campus, I’ve been surrounded by a largely liberal (LIBERAL arts college, anyone?), largely young demographic.  While that’s all fine and dandy, it’s not representative of the general American population.  With this in mind, coming home from school can cause some culture shock.  

I drove by this same sign in suburban Pennsylvania.  It’s real.  

Image via Truth Frequency Radio

Now, first off:  DONALD TRUMP SUPPORTERS ARE REAL.  Gone are the jokes made without thinking, the confusion as to how such a person could ever lead a presidential election.  I’ve gotten into legitimate arguments with someone who insists the man would make a wonderful president and has reasons to back up this “logic.”  I honestly haven’t seen a single Bernie sign in a single yard since visiting my parents.  I’ve seen dozens of Trump signs.  

This isn’t to claim that everyone at Gettysburg College supports Bernie.  The school even specified that the Town Hall Meeting earlier this spring was NOT a rally.  But I’d safely say that the vast, or at least the most vocal majority feels the Bern.  

#BirdieSanders

Image via New York Observer

The Observer wrote in March that Bernie has one won the Internet this election, whatever the final results;  consequently, he’s won over the Internet generation.   In the *real world*, however, the Internet is proving to be less influential than ever.  

I just hope America thinks to look behind the curtain.  

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.