This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Homesickness in college is to be expected, but this late in the semester, it can seem as though you should to be over it. After all, college is supposed to be some of the best years of your life and that can’t happen if you’re still dreaming of waking up in your own bed each day. Despite the fact that you might feel like you’re the only one homesick after the second week, the reality is that more people are homesick than you think.

It’s important to understand homesickness before taking action against it. Homesickness is more than just missing your house; it’s mourning the loss of how life used to be. In college, you’re away from your family, friends, and the routine that you established over the course of several years. You are mourning the loss of comfort, support, and normalcy that you took for granted for so long. When you start to see homesickness in this light, you can understand why it’s so hard to “just get over it” and why so many people suffer from it.

Image via Georgetown Psychology Associates 

But don’t lose hope! There are ways to make yourself feel comfortable, happy, and safe at college. Even if it seems late in semester, it is never too late to improve your mental health.

The biggest (and sometimes scariest) way to feel comfortable is to put yourself out there. It’s important to get used to your new surroundings. If you haven’t already, take some time to go into town or walk the length of campus. Gather some friends to go shopping or to go out to eat at a local restaurant. Search online for off campus events that are happening in your city or town that you can go to. Familiarizing yourself with more than just the classrooms will really help you feel more at home.

Sitting in your dorm room by yourself for long periods of time can lead to spiraling thoughts and the feeling of isolation. To prevent this, try to stay out of your room as much as possible. Go to the library. Go to the gym. Hang out in a friend’s dorm. Staying busy and productive will help you feel better and create healthy habits long term and spending time with friends helps form those bonds to replace the ones you left behind at home.

It’s also okay to give yourself time and space to be homesick. Give yourself a few minutes each day to think about your home and your family. Facetime your parents or call your siblings and talk about what you’re feeling. Your feelings and emotions are valid, and shouldn’t be bottled up but, don’t dwell in the negative. After letting yourself feel sad, go out and do something fun to distract yourself.

Everyone deals with homesickness differently, so try out a couple different strategies if the first one you try doesn’t work. Understand that your emotions are valid and you are allowed to feel down, even if you only went an hour away from home. If you are still struggling with homesickness and stress, please do not feel afraid to seek help from friends, faculty, or counselors.

Image via ScaryMommy

Eventually, your dorm will feel like home and your friends will feel even closer than the ones you have at home. So enjoy all the great things college can bring into your life!

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!