jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Be Thankful for Yourself This Year: Easy Tips to Improve Self-Love and Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

It’s that time of year again… The school year is in full-swing, finals are just around the corner, and there’s barely enough time to breathe, or sleep for that matter. We live in a world of nonstop motion, and we oftentimes tend to juggle too many activities and obligations. College students, especially, are under tremendous pressure to deliver and achieve greatness, which often results in putting our personal feelings and thoughts aside. But, don’t worry! It’s not too late to take small, easy steps towards self-appreciation and self-care. Read on to learn how!

Image via The State Press

1. Lay off of social media. 

Image via The Independent

I know this one is a challenge. In today’s day and age, our lives revolve around social media. We incessantly check our statuses for likes, comments and friends’ posts, oftentimes to attain validation or simply out of boredom. Friends, celebrities and acquaintances online, however, replace social interactions and trigger feelings of jealousy. Arguably worse, social media has been scientifically proven addictive; users exhibit psychological effects of withdrawal and lowered self-esteem, especially young women. So try this: Don’t reach for your phone next time you’re bored of studying or writing that paper. Instead, take a walk, check in with friends in person and find easy ways to avoid subconsciously jeopardizing your self-love.

2. Jot down your pent-up feelings and thoughts. 

Image via picjumbo

Picture this: each and every one of your thoughts is a tiny piece of paper and your mind is a jar. You fill that jar with thoughts every second of every day and, inevitably, that jar will start to overflow. Without an outlet for these pent-up emotions, the jar will slowly crack or even shatter. Instead of holding everything inside, try writing your thoughts and feelings down. Whether you write in the notes app of your phone or keep a nightly journal, it is fairly easy to release thoughts from your already stimulated mind. This technique can also be achieved through other creative outlets; painting, drawing and music are other ways to express yourself. Not only will you have the opportunity to process the day’s events, but your positive thoughts will also take the place of those impeding on your self-appreciation.

3. Take a relaxing bath or shower. 

Image via Nivea

In college, showers become merely out of necessity and oftentimes require speed in order to begin the next order of business. But at the end of a long day, or the start of a new one, taking a warm, rejuvenating shower is the perfect way to reboot your mind and body. In fact, hot showers are natural sedatives, and can even help reduce symptoms of insomnia. Beyond that, the warm water rejuvenates your skin and releases pain and stress from the body. Lathering aromatherapeutic oils and soaps on the body is another natural way to relieve stress and give your body the care it deserves. 

4. Exercise. 

Photo via YMCA of Greater Omaha

Exercise, a healthy, simple stress-reliever, releases endorphins in the body and leads to an overall improved mood. In fact, depression, anxiety and stress are reduced when chemicals are released during exercise. These improvements occur regardless of the activity’s rigor. The workout can be as easy as taking a walk to get your blood flowing, or stretching in a beginners yoga class. Even just a day’s worth of walking around campus is enough physical exercise to fulfill the hour recommendation. Regardless, rigorous or not, become aware of the importance of exercise for the body and mind. Whether or not you realize, your mood may be improved vastly by taking an hour our of your day to run on the treadmill.

5. Grab a meal with friends. 

Image via College Times

In honor of my aforementioned “no social media” challenge to you, try this next technique to make your time away from screens much more fulfilling. Nothing beats face to face interaction, and according to Mayo Clinic, friendships improve your self-value and self-worth, two very important factors in achieving self-love. Instead of eating lunch alone in your room, opt for going out with friends. Friends provide valuable face-to-face conversation and harp unforgettable, enjoyable experiences, especially in the college setting.

6. Take advantage of some form of entertainment.

Image via IBPulse

At college, we often forget to or do not have time to unwind with self-fulfilling entertainment. The college setting, however, is teeming with opportunities to view live performances, enjoy movies, and listen to music. Whether you attend a school play or watch a movie at the local theater, entertainment is the perfect way to unwind and fully immerse yourself in enjoyable experiences. By taking advantage of the many entertainment opportunities, you can create enjoyable memories that add value to your life.

7. Give yourself positive reminders from time to time. 

Image via i heart wellness

This tip is fun and allows a lot of room for creativity. We use our phones 24/7, look at the same walls of our room and bathroom every day, and repeat the same, predictable routine day after day. But, to enhance the monotony, if you create little reminders to yourself, those days may be a little better. These reminders can be as simple as a sticky note on the wall or an inspirational quote on the wallpaper of your phone. By constantly encouraging positivity, whether that be a reminder to “have a great day” or “be happy,” your confidence in your personal strength will improve vastly.

Now get out there and enjoy your Thanksgiving break with newfound self-appreciation! Friends and family will thank you, and you will thank yourself for accessing the inner strength and self-love you always held inside.

Phoebe Doscher

Gettysburg '22

Phoebe is a freshman at Gettysburg College originally from Sandy Hook, CT. She enjoys writing, musical theatre, and the color pink.