From World Star to TMZ: Migos Arrested at Georgia Southern University; Bail Denied!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

After being featured on World Star Hip Hop for Homecoming 2013, Georgia Southern makes internet headlines again, for the Spring Bling concert, and this time we went viral thanks to the Migos and TMZ. Migos were chosen to perform at the annual concert after the release of a university-wide poll last semester. The artists featured on the poll were Dom Kennedy, August Alsina, We the Kings, Rich Homie Quan, Karmin, Magic, and of course Migos.  The vote proved to be in vain Saturday night, 4/18/2015, at Hanner Fieldhouse, due to the concert’s early termination.  Several sources indicate that the group’s stage manager had the DJ cut the concert short, after local authorities found a firearm and drugs in the trio’s vans.  Authorities were alerted after reports of strong scents of marijuana claimed to be detected coming from the groups’ and their associates’ vehicles.  The group and their entourage were questioned immediately after they exited the stage and numerous arrests were made.  Two of the three members Quavo (Quavious Marshall, age 24) and Offset (Kiari Cephus, age 23), were arrested for felony possession of cocaine, Oxycontin, and codeine and additionally charged with carrying a loaded weapon in a school zone. Quavo and Offset remain in custody pending a bond hearing.   The concert drug bust follows in the wake of a brawl at a Migos concert in March in Albany, New York where six people were stabbed.

TMZ got the concert interruption on tape; the 50-second video can be seen below.

We also were able to obtain their Bulloch County mug shots.

Quavious Keyatz “Quavo” Marshall

Quavo was charged with three felonies (possession of a schedule II controlled substance, possession of a firearm, carrying a weapon in a school zone and misdemeanor marijuana charge.

Kiari Kendrell “Offset” Cephus

Offset was charged with two felonies (possession of a firearm by convicted felon, carrying a weapon in a school zone) and two misdemeanors (marijuana less than an ounce, possession of schedule II controlled substance).

Kirschnick Khari “Takeoff” Ball, 20 was not charged.

Following their arrest, Migos Twitter account posted “F*** 12.”Needless to say, the trio did not enjoy their brief stay in the Eagle Country.  

In a recent update Quavo and Offset were denied bail at the court hearing today, and it still remains a mystery as to why Takeoff recieved no charges.  The judge was furious about the loaded weapon on campus charge. These accusations and charges may have harsher effects on group member Offset as he was incarcerated for violating probation in 2013.  

A new tweet posted today from Migos Twitter, their beliefs on police have not changed since Saturday.

The university released a statement regarding Spring Bling and it can be viewed in the link below.

http://news.georgiasouthern.edu/2015/04/20/university-statement-regardin…

Bianca Yarde

Georgia Southern

Bianca is a student at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA, studying Spanish and Psychology. A Native New Yorker, she prides herself on her “tell it like it is,” personality. In her free time she enjoys writing, reading, watching gangster and classic movies, and volunteering. Her mission in life is to help others. After graduation, she plans to become a teacher and open a bakery.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.