We Are All Different, and That’s Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As you get older, living life and fitting in with certain crowds tend to become harder the older you get. If you grew up in a household with siblings, comparing yourself to others could have started at a younger age, but most people consciously catch themselves doing this when they start school. Today I want to discuss that it is okay to be different and that the grass is not always greener on the other side just because people make it look good.

Fitting other People’s Standards

I found high school to be the most judgemental place for me. Everyone only wants to hang out with someone who meets their outside standards, meaning what they wear and how they present themselves daily. Not many are concerned with what type of person you are personality-wise, but only who can look and seem the “most popular.”  On the other hand, it is okay to stick out and not be like everyone else. Being yourself is the best thing you can do for yourself. I found many people were losing themselves because they were so concerned about keeping up with someone else they didn’t even know what made them happy anymore.

Don’t get caught up in the crossfire trying to please others; instead, do all you can to please yourself and keep yourself first. You are your own biggest supporter before anyone else. Don’t lose that by trying to follow trends or have people around that within five years; you don’t even know if they will still be there. Social media is now playing a significant role in this topic; everyone wants success faster than ever because of what they see on their social media timelines. We compare ourselves by thinking things such as, “She’s my age, and she has all of this. Am I doing something wrong?” When instead, we should have a mindset like ‘I’m proud of her, and my time will come, and I’m going to wait patiently on that.’ 

Being different is a good thing!

I want women to know that everything people portray is not always the truth but is sometimes only what people want others to perceive about them. When you are yourself, you attract others around you who truly fit into your crowd, and it doesn’t feel forced. People can be judgemental and make the process hard, but you have to stay calm and patient and know that what is meant for you will always come to you, which goes for all the things money can offer. It doesn’t matter if someone accomplished their goals first; our finish lines are at a different mark. 

Kayla Allen

Georgia Southern

Hello my name is Kayla Allen, I am currently a Junior at Georgia Southern. I am majoring in Allied health of Kinesiology aspiring to become a physical therapist, I am excited to share my point of view on several topics, I hope you all can enjoy and gain something from my readings.