Senior Year: How to Deal with Being Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

How to Deal with Being Sick: An Overachiever’s Guide

1. Wear Shades

This is the only polite way to effectively communicate nonverbally with people that you cannot deal with. Anyone who is sick already knows that if you have resting unhappy face. The world does not bode well with you and shades help to avoid the confrontation. Plus, you’re probably too sick for makeup so these hide those dark circles and keeps the glaring sun out of your eyes.

2. Chill 

Stress is a killer, so humble yourself, and pray.

3. Give up . . . what you can

When you are really sick, doing it all is just not an option. Prioritize! If you cannot stay awake to watch your favorite show, you shouldn’t expect to stay awake to take notes. Do try and show up, because anything is better than a zero. So if you’re like me, you might end up confusing your class’s starting time with it’s ending time, but at least your professor may have some respect for you at the end of the day.

4. Develop a New Low Standard

You’re sick, so you’re pretty much a part-time slacker; reward yourself for how much you can get away with, because the most important thing you can do now is rest and get better.

5. Keep a Happy Song in your Head

Humming a happy tune will help you zone out all the responsibility and annoying voices when you cannot deal with things anymore. 

6. Find your favorite drink

Do like Swoozie and get hydrated with water. If water isn’t your thing, try sparkling water that comes in bigger sizes so you can make sure you’re getting enough fluid intake. Clear American has good flavors at Walmart (Fuji Apple, Black Cherry, and Strawberry Lemonade are the best).

7. Have a Pass-Out Plan:

As extreme as it sounds, it’s not unlikely that you’ll wake up with a boiling hot temperature and stand up too fast. Make a plan so that you can roll over easily and find some ice, some medicine, your phone, and a bathroom at a moment’s notice. Stay seated as much as possible.

8. Keep your head up and your hair up:

It’s gross, but unless you pull your hair back you’re gonna have to shower 3 or more times a day from sneezing all over yourself.

9. Keep Post-It Notes:

Keep something around to write down when you take medicine. Although this more importantly keeps you from taking too much medicine, it also let’s you know when you’re due for another fever reducer when it’s been hours into the misery.

10. Have a friend to vent to: Being sick is no fun, but we’ve all been there and sometimes it takes a good army of friends to let you know that you’re gonna be okay, and for the overachiever, that you’re going to be just fine.

Amelia Beckworth

Georgia Southern

My name is Amelia Beckworth. I am a Junior at Georgia Southern University studying Fashion Design, but I am much more than that and I am sure you are too. Typically, I’m the kind of person who’d imagine their life with a soundtrack and a reality TV show. I have a broad imagination, a short attention span, and a big heart. As I write, you may see I have an immense love for God, captivating art, and mind-blowing music while delighting in channeling that negative energy into improving the lack thereof. I have trust issues with people who don’t add salt to their food and say they don’t sing in the shower. Easily won over by Nutella or Twizzlers, I have a habit of being both swayed and opinionated. For the most part, I enjoy helping people relate to and inspire one another through the expression of writing.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.