medical supplies
medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Mask On: Returning In A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Since March 2020 we’ve been at unprecedented times. A long-anticipated spring break turned into four months of house arrest. Many students wondered if we would be returning to campus and some students took it upon themselves to stay home. For those that returned, here is what we’ve learned: Since school started back on August 17th we’ve come to encounter some new additions to our campus.

Welcome Our Newest Robotic Friends!

With the help of Starship, these robots help our food services deliver food contactless! Campus life feels a bit different because since the majority of our classes are offered online it seems like we are enrolled at Zoom University instead of Georgia Southern University. Even though the campus is a bit empty now Georgia Southern never fails to keep the students on campus entertained and fed. During the first week of class, there were food trucks and just today Insomnia decided to give out free cookies to students walking by the rotunda. On the bright side, the Chick-fil-a line isn’t super long anymore. The biggest change is that we are all required to wear masks. If you weren’t good with faces before I know it’s frustrating now! And ladies I know I’m not the only one who applies lip gloss faithfully just to put a mask on. This is our new norm though recognizing our peers by their eyes and hair, constantly sanitizing everything, attendance not being required, and even being able to go to class while still in bed. I think some of these new habits should remain once we beat this pandemic. What do you all think?

Georgia Southern has always been a party school so how has life in a college town changed? It seems that there are two types of people: Those that refuse to allow a pandemic to ruin their college experience and those that hang with their few friends inside. Let’s not forget that Gnats is still fairly busy on Thursday nights. I think it’s fair to say that while people are taking precautions they’re still finding ways to live their best life. Since school has started we’ve unfortunately seen a rise in COVID cases. Considering the rise of cases a few of the apartment complexes have closed their amenities. This raises the question of how the rest of the semester will play out.

With us going on the third week of school I’d say that many students have adjusted fairly well. Considering students finished their Spring semester out online. With adequate preparation from our professors and dedication from our students, the adjustment has been fairly easy. For students that prefer face-to-face, many professors have split classes up into groups. I’m sure this has helped many students because grasping information online isn’t the same as in person. Although the adjustment may be easy its also easy to lose motivation with so much going on. So this is just a quick reminder to finish strong and stay on top of your work! We will see what the remainder of the semester entails after our first test has been taken.

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends. 
Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata