CPL Sections EXTRAS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections EXTRAS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Wellness > Mental Health

Gamify Your Life: Taking Care of Your “Avatar”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Have you ever had issues getting up and out of bed? Maybe you even thought to yourself, “I need to do this thing” or even “I really want to do this thing” but just… couldn’t make your body get up. Maybe you’ve procrastinated that to-do list for too long, and actually want to be productive, but can’t manage to.

What you’re feeling is called executive dysfunction. It’s an issue that arises when your body’s control system, the brain, can’t manage everything easily. You might struggle with:

• focusing and multitasking
  • staying motivated
  • managing your time

Tackling executive dysfunction can help you accomplish your daily workload, whether that’s school, a job, chores, or even social and romantic relationships.

The “Gamify Your Life” series compares your life to a video game so that you can focus on mental health and self-healing. This concept might help you distance yourself from your problems because gaining perspective on recurring, habitual issues might help you find solutions to them.

Taking care of your avatar (body) can help your character (that’s you!) overcome executive dysfunction. The first step is noticing where and when you’re having issues.

For example, I feel overwhelmed by the amount of tasks I need to do pretty often, especially in the mornings. It impacts my whole day because I stay in bed for a longer time, which means I have less time to get ready. I could forget something or possibly be late to class or work – and all of that’s if I can fight those feelings.

I figured out when I have this problem most often, and I’ve come up with some solutions that help:

• Planning my avatar’s “costumes” (outfits) ahead of time (avoids some major indecision the morning-of)
  • Keeping a regular routine of morning “mini-games” (for me, it’s easier to do things in the same way/order)
  • Writing the day’s “quests” in a planner

As we get busy, we forget basic needs. For people with body dysmorphia or discomfort, an essential part of healing and unlearning negative habits is recognizing their own needs + learning how to give their bodies the recovery they deserve.

Healthier actions, done intentionally and repeatedly, become habits that lead to healthier mindsets. This has the potential to give your avatar +fulfillment, +energy, and +mood, and can unlock exciting new adventures or quests in your character’s life.

An important part of “adulting” is finding habits that might help you fight executive dysfunction and take better care of your avatar. Some things that could help in your routine might be:

• Carrying a water bottle so that you don’t forget to drink water
  •  Planning and prepping meals in advance
  •  Stocking up on snack items (look for portability + nutrition) and keeping them readily available

Making these routines stick and become habits might be tricky. Be patient with yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes! Experiment with self-care ideas that work best for you – and eventually, it’ll become muscle memory!

At the end of the day, whatever “high score” you get is already a huge achievement – it’s noteworthy not because it’s a world record, but because it’s your personal best.

Alex Gholston

Georgia Southern '24

Alex Gholston an alumnus of Georgia Southern University that studied English with a minor in Literature and concentration in professional writing. Right now, Alex is pursuing her Master's degree in Information and Library Sciences while exploring freelance work in journalistic writing, editing, and content creation.