Staying Healthy While Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Just when you thought you’ve bounced back from “freshmen-15”, study abroad hits you hard. Studying abroad is a repeat of freshmen year: a new city, new food, more freedom, unlimited alcohol, and new cultures with unfamiliar faces. Hopefully you’ve learned after freshmen year that ignoring your diet and exercise for an extended period of time has its consequences. Instead of making excuses, try making simple changes. Here are some tips to enjoy yourself, but not sabotage your health during your semester abroad.

1.     Opt to walk: you may not be able to keep up your regular fitness regime, but walking will keep you active! Instead of taking public transportation, try walking from place to place. Thirty minutes of walking a day can make all the difference, and burn some calories from the night before. Not to mention, it gives you a chance to slow down, browse, and familiarize yourself with the area.

2.     Indulge, but don’t overindulge: just because your abroad for a short time doesn’t mean you have to try every new food in one day. You have four months, space out your indulgences and make them something special. That way, you not only control your eating, but you also will appreciate the time when you actually let yourself indulge and have that extra croissant.

3.     Get outdoors: try a hiking trip, canoeing, kayaking, trip. Get into nature, be adventurous, and try something new.

4.     Limit your alcohol intake: one of the hardest parts of studying abroad is the freedom that comes with having less work than a normal semester. Instead of taking that freedom and wasting it on a drunken night, limit your alcohol intake and forget about binge drinking (which will inevitably make you stand out as an American and likely make a fool of yourself). You will not only save money, calories, and endless amounts of shame, but you will also remember the experience you had.

5.     Join a team: almost every study abroad program has some sort of organized sports team, or the city that they are in will open for international students to join. Branch out and try out a new sport. You’ll make great friends and be forced to work out at least once a week! Your study abroad program doesn’t have a sports team? Start a pick-up team that gets together in a local park!

From my experience, it is possible and important to take care of your health when studying abroad. Have fun, but make good decisions, your body (and mind) will thank you.

Photo Credits: Meghan Holden

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.