stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Breaking the Bubble: Great Falls National Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

It’s time to break the bubble and get out of Georgetown! My suggestion is to take a trip to Great Falls National Park.

Great Falls is a National Park that spans the Potomac River in both Virginia and Maryland. It features many hiking trails as well as areas for having picnics, kayaking, running, rock climbing, or biking. Who would have thought that just a thirty-minute drive from Georgetown you can find such diverse landscape? That’s right! There is fresh air, water, endless nature, and much, much more. Fall is the perfect time to take advantage of this nearby hidden gem.

For first timers, or those who think this might be a once-in-a-college-experience, I would recommend the Billy Goat Trail or the River Trail. The “start point” is typically at one of the visitor’s centers, but you can jump on the trails at any point if you’re feeling adventurous (and you have a good sense of direction).

How do you get to Great Falls? Start sucking up to that friend that has a car…or, try out other options like ZipCar, Enterprise, or plan a trip with your club. Unfortunately, there is no metro stop or GUTS bus to get you to Great Falls, but figuring out the obstacle of transportation is well worth the reward of the experience. The only cost (excluding transportation) is $10 per car if you enter at the visitor’s center.

What are you waiting for? Time to start planning! Some important tips from a veteran would be: bring snacks, water, and sunscreen and make sure to go early! It’s best to go around 10 A.M. to avoid traffic entering the park and crowds on the trails.

Get outdoors and break the bubble this weekend!

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.