This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As women, many of us have a tendency to shy away from one of the most important conversations: our sexual health. According to recent surveys, over 70 percent of college students are sexually active. A staggering amount of those students are not practicing safe sex by using condoms or contraceptives and being regularly tested for STDs. Let’s take a look at just what that means and why it’s important to put your health first.

Many of us have heard the saying that you’re not just sleeping with your partners but all the partner’s they’ve had and so forth. This may seem easy to disregard but this Sexual Exposure Calculator let’s one track exactly how many persons they’ve been indirectly exposed to. The average male or female in college has had 5 sexual partners. This means if you’re the sixth person to sleep with them you would also be indirectly exposed to 5 other people and their sexual partners as well.

In addition to visiting your OBGYN for an annual checkup, you should be getting tested based on your level of sexual activity. If you’re sexually active with more than one partner it is recommended to be tested every 3 to 6 months. Some diseases take longer than others to become symptomatic which is why the frequency of testing is important. It is equally important to have a conversation with the person you’re having sex with to discuss if they’ve been tested and if they’re actively a carrier of any STDs. The most effective way for a sexually active person to protect themselves from obtaining an STD is the use of condoms. Birth control may reduce one’s risk of pregnancy but it offers no protection against STDs.

Related: 7 Things Your Gynecologist Should Definitely Know

The most common STDs include Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Herpes, and HIV/AIDS. Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and Chlamydia can be asymptomatic for long durations of time but once diagnosed they are all treatable with the use of antibiotics. Gonorrhea and Syphilis are also the diseases that have increased in recent years due partially to the fact they can also be transmitted orally. Herpes, while not curable, is manageable through medication and does not impact one’s quality of life or ability to engage in sexual activities. There are now combinations of drugs that increase the lifespan of those with HIV and decrease the risk of HIV devolving into AIDS. More detailed information about these diseases can be found on the Office On Women’s Health website.

None of this is to say to avoid or not enjoy your sex life! Rather enjoy a happier more carefree sex life when you know you’ve taken your sexual health into your own hands.

Jennifer Muchnikoff

George Mason University '20

Currently a Senior at George Mason University, I am a Communications Major with double concentrations in Public Relations and Journalism. When I'm not focusing on being a Staff Writer and Social Media Editor for HerCampus, I am an active member of Zeta Tau Alpha or interning at ABC7 News!