Wellness > Sex + Relationships

7 Things Your Gynecologist Should Definitely Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Going to the gynecologist can be very nerve-racking, especially if you don’t know what to expect. My first time at the gynecologist I was incredibly nervous and shy which made me leave out a lot of important information that she should’ve known. Over the last few years, I’ve learned to be more open with my doctor about any issues I have. Here are just a few things worth mentioning to your doctor.

1. Your sex life

No, your doctor won’t judge you if you’re having sex regularly. It may feel awkward at first but let them know how many partners you’ve had, your sexual orientation and if you’ve been tested for STDs before. Everything you tell them will stay between the two of you.

Via Giphy

2. If sex is uncomfortable or painful

Pain or discomfort during sex can either be nothing or it could be something serious. Don’t be afraid to let your doctor know if you’re experiencing these things during sex. The best way for them to help you is for them to know what’s going with your body.

Via Giphy

3. Talk to them about your periods

Whether it’s heavy, light, painful, lasts a long time or something make sure to let them know! They might know some tricks to help your horrible cramps or may suggest a birth control option to help with irregular periods.

Via Giphy

4. Any funky smells or discharge

If you’re experiencing any less than normal smells or strange discharge, make sure you mention this to your doctor. It could be something as simple as a pH imbalance or something more serious, like an infection. Either way let the gyno know so they can help get your body back to normal.

Via Giphy

5. Any health issues in your family

If any of the women in your family have suffered from cancers, like ovarian or breast cancer, let your doctor know they can do genetic testing if that’s something you’re adamant about doing. Knowing your family history is incredibly important, whether you opt to do genetic testing or not.

Via Giphy

6. Low Libido

I know it’s weird to think about talking to your gynecologist about your desire to have sex or not. But talking to them about it could help them figure out a way to get you in the mood. Anything from medications you’re taking to stress could affect your libido. Your gynecologist might be able to give you some tricks and tips or refer you to a specialist to help.

Via Giphy

7. Any issues with fertility

Whether you’re trying to get pregnant or not, your gynecologist can provide helpful advice to either prevent pregnancy or increase your chances of becoming pregnant.

Via Giphy

Most importantly, ask your gynecologist every single question you have! You want to make sure your vagina is as healthy as possible. After all, it is where all the magic happens!

Jackie Lorincz

George Mason University '19

Hi! I’m Jackie, a senior majoring in Environmental science. I’m also an active sister of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Writing has always been a hobby of mine and I’m excited for you to read my work! In my free time I love to read and bake, and I’m a huge animal lover, especially dogs!