Why Is There Always a Negative Connotation Attached to Sorority Girls?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Shabrina Parikh

In a society that constantly prides itself for not having preconceived notions, sorority girls are unfortunately excluded. People are so quick to label all sorority girls as dumb or binge drinkers. Ever since I have joined the Greek community, I’ve realized that is far from the truth. I’ve grown as a person, and I am always surrounded by empowered, vocal females. Contrary to popular belief, my sorority sisters might be the strongest group of women I have ever met.

My biggest fear going into spring recruitment was that I would not get a bid based on how I look. I am an short Indian with a body that is far from perfect, but I was quickly welcomed with open arms. Not once have I felt discriminated because of how I look or where I come from. In fact, I have sorority sisters from all around the world and all different shapes, and that’s what makes the sisterhood so great. I’m not saying that all the stereotypes people hear are 100% false. I understand why they exist, and won’t deny that I definitely know girls that do fit those stereotypes, but we must try to limit that observation to just those girls. Seeing a couple of girls act a certain way does not give us the liberty to overgeneralize an entire community.

Related: George Mason Sorority Recruitment Guide

Via University of Michigan

My experience was actually tainted by the people who weren’t in Greek Life. When I excitedly told one of my older friends about my bid, he reacted by saying, “Shabrina, don’t do it. They are going to suck the intelligence out of you.” As I started telling more of my friends, I heard everything from, “I can’t believe I am actually going to be friends with a sorority girl *eye roll* to “So, you chose to pay for your friends?” I was in the midst of a dichotomy in which my friends were telling me sororities are meant for shallow, personalityless girls while my sorority was encouraging me to join this wonderful sisterhood where I will be able to grow as a person. Luckily, I chose the latter. Had I listened to my friends, I would have agreed to think less of other women I know nothing about. Joining the Greek community showed me that not everyone parties and hooks up every weekend, not everyone looks like a Victoria Secret model and not everyone is shallow or materialistic. It’s high time people, specifically girls, to realize that putting other women down does nothing but put everyone behind. Via George Mason University

Related: Great Women Go Greek            

It’s really sad that once you accept your bid, you somehow lose all your substance as a woman. When I am asked what I’m involved with, no one cares that I’m a Mason Ambassador, a future Resident Advisor, a future Peer Advisor, a writer for Her Campus, etc. All that stands out is that I am in a sorority. I can visibly see the disapproval in their faces, forgetting everything else I have accomplished. It’s not fair, and none of the girls who join the Panhellenic community deserve be forced into one identity. Sororities were created so women would have a support system and be held to the highest of moral standards, not to be an catalyst of elitism. I have sisters everyday who gain accomplishments in the form of internships, jobs, leadership positions, etc. They didn’t get those opportunities by just wearing their Greek letters, it is because they are intelligent and extremely competent. To those who restrict us to one stereotype, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Shabrina Parikh

George Mason University '21

Hi! My name is Shabrina, and I am a senior majoring in Information Systems and Operations Management. When I am not busy in my RA role, you can find me giving campus tours. I aspire to one day change the world with my words, and make a difference in my own little way.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com