What It’s Like Living In Your First Apartment

After I got married this past August, my husband and I moved into our first apartment! I’ve never lived in an apartment before, only my parent’s house and my freshman dorm. I had expectations of a lavishly furnished place with a delicious homemade meal every night. We’ve been here for about a month now, and it was definitely not like I imagined. The reality is that living on your own is great, but there are a lot of things I certainly didn’t account for.

You’re always buying groceries

After living on campus, I was used to having the dining hall to my disposable any hour of the day. Going from that to being 100% responsible for your food is hard. That’s why most students end up with food like ramen, it’s cheap and easy. The first time stocking up on essentials can be expensive. Remember to stick to your budget and a shopping list, then you’ll always have a stocked fridge.

Trade Joe'S Bag Groceries

You have to make your own dinner

Being able to cook homemade meals is a luxury. There are endless possibilities! Except, each recipe requires different ingredients… and ingredients are expensive. So, it’s better to stick to essentials and curate your meals based on what you already have. Try getting a good cookbook to spark some inspiration after a long day of class (Spaghetti is my go-to).

a woman stands over the stove cutting an herb out of a pot on the window sill with a pair of scissors. there are pans of pasta stirfry on the burner.

You have to clean… like everyday

Between crumbs in the kitchen, dishes in the sink, dust on the shelves and hairspray in the bathroom, cleaning is an everyday ritual. Investing in a good vacuum (or being gifted one) and using Clorox wipes is life-changing. Try cleaning up a little bit every day before you go to bed. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself in the morning.

a bottle of clorox, hand sanitizers and a container of lysol wipes sit on a wooden table

Related: How to Make Dorm Life Sustainable AF

Decor is expensive

You know that cute couch you want in your living room from Pinterest? $3,000. Instead, you’ll end up with the cheapest couch you can find from IKEA, and thrift the rest. It all adds character. It’s a good idea to reuse items you already have, like these string lights from my dorm room

It’s all worth it in the end

At the end of the day, your freedom and independence are worth any challenge you may face. This is an exciting new adventure in your life. You’ll look back on your first apartment and wonder how you ever did it, but wouldn’t change it for the world.

Woman reading a book in bedroom

Happy moving, collegiettes!