What It’s Like Living In Your First Apartment

After I got married this past August, my husband and I moved into our first apartment! I’ve never lived in an apartment before, only my parent’s house and my freshman dorm. I had expectations of a lavishly furnished place with a delicious homemade meal every night. We’ve been here for about a month now, and it was definitely not like I imagined. The reality is that living on your own is great, but there are a lot of things I certainly didn’t account for.

You’re always buying groceries

Photo Courtesy of Author

After living on campus, I was used to having the dining hall to my disposable any hour of the day. Going from that to being 100% responsible for your food is hard. That’s why most students end up with food like ramen, it’s cheap and easy. The first time stocking up on essentials can be expensive. Remember to stick to your budget and a shopping list, then you’ll always have a stocked fridge.

You have to make your own dinner

Photo Courtesy of Author

Being able to cook homemade meals is a luxury. There are endless possibilities! Except, each recipe requires different ingredients… and ingredients are expensive. So, it’s better to stick to essentials and curate your meals based off of what you already have. Try getting a good cookbook to spark some inspiration after a long day of class (Spaghetti is my go-to).

You have to clean… like everyday

Photo Courtesy of Author

Between crumbs in the kitchen, dishes in the sink, dust on the shelves and hairspray in the bathroom, cleaning is an everyday ritual. Investing in a good vacuum (or being gifted one) and using Clorox wipes is life changing. Try cleaning up a little bit everyday before you go to bed. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself in the morning.

Related: How to Make Dorm Life Sustainable AF

Decor is expensive

Photo Courtesy of Author

You know that cute couch you want in your living room from Pinterest? $3,000. Instead, you’ll end up with the cheapest couch you can find from IKEA, and thrift the rest. It all adds character. It’s a good idea to reuse items you already have, like these string lights from my dorm room.

It’s all worth it in the end

Photo Courtesy of Author

At the end of the day, your freedom and independence is worth any challenge you may face. This is an exciting new adventure in your life. You’ll look back on your first apartment and wonder how you ever did it, but wouldn’t change it for the world.