This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

By: Mackenzie Nelson

In the eyes of many, change is seen as a negative thing and the thought of it might even make them uncomfortable. If I have learned anything from my first semester of college, it’s that change is inevitable and is usually for the best. So here are a few things I’ve learned about change from my college experience.

1. You will lose touch with your high school friends

We all want to stay connected and keep in touch as we go our separate ways, but there is a possibility that you will both grow and start to want new things, which means you will grow apart. This is okay! College is the time for you to meet new people, try new things and find yourself. That means making new friends who share the same interests as you, whether they are new or old ones.

2. Friends might come and go as freshman year goes by

You will meet people at orientation and in your classes, but they will come and go as time goes by. People will be joining new clubs and organizations in order to find friends with the same interests and so will you! Not everyone will be your best friend forever, but there will be those few who stick around for years to come.Via Giphy

Related: 15 Things I Learned From My First Semester at Mason

3. Your major might change… multiple times

You might have applied as a Music Education major and maybe you decide later that you want to change it to Government and International Politics (like me). As you go through these different experiences, your mindset and goals might change as well. Whether it be small or drastic, it happens to all of us. It is not the end of the world if you have a change of heart. It is totally normal and I promise you will be better off!

4. Learn to let it go

People, hobbies, dreams and interests will all come and go. This is when you have to understand that things will be changing around you on a daily basis. You can’t dwell on these things or let them get you down. The main thing I’ve learned within my first semester at college is to not let things get to me and to just let it go! It is most likely not worth the mental space or time.Via Giphy

5. The only person you can rely on is yourself

The new environment means you won’t have your safety net of high school friends or a set group of friend in college yet. I’ve realized that we have to learn to be alone and rely on ourselves because we won’t have anyone to fall back on. Independence is something that will take you further than you know and will make you stronger each day! So don’t be afraid of change Collegiettes, face it head on! Via Giphy

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com