matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Everyone has seen the movie Wall-E. While we enjoyed the love story between Wall-E and Eve, the movie was a smack in the face for our neglection of the Earth. We have destroyed this beautiful planet and continue to do so every day. Our oceans are flooded with trash, animals are dying from eating trash and we are doing nothing to better this situation. I do not know how much of a difference one person not using plastic makes but if we could do it together as one, we could start to heal the Earth. I have personally limited my plastic usage down dramatically and I know a few ways you can as well!

1. No More Water Bottles

I truly believe the world has forgotten that water fountains exist. Not only do we have water fountains but we have water purifiers and water bottle refills at water fountains. A prime reason you should get a permanent water bottle is that it is cost-efficient. Constantly buying cases of water bottles starts to rack up eventually, whereas if you buy a water bottle once, you will never spend money on cases again. I highly recommend a Hydroflask, they come in so many colors and keep your drinks super cold or warm. I have a blue one that I love and use every day but there also other options for bottles to fit your needs. Find one and stick with it!

2. Paper or Plastic?

When you go grocery shopping, for now on when they ask for paper or plastic, say paper! Think about it, that plastic always feels like it is cutting your wrist off whenever you are hauling 50 bags to your car. Paper bags are the way to go. Also, nothing bothers me more to see someone get one or two items and use bags for them. Your hands can carry items just fine!

3. No more disposables!

Ladies, why are we still using disposable razors? Reusable razors save a tremendous amount of plastic. Did I also mention it is cheaper?

Related: I Stopped Using Plastic Straws and You Should Too

4. Straws and more straws.

When I go to fast food places or restaurants, I try not to ask for straws. If the place is known for dirty cups, then yes. However, straws are not a necessity. Drinking straight from the cup is still an option. Another solution is getting a reusable straw. You can buy one cheaply online that folds up into a portable container.

5. Biodegradable Phone Cases

This is a product I came upon when I was searching for new phone cases. I go through phone cases like water, so why not get one that will help the environment? Pela Case is a great brand to look into! These cases are a little more on the expensive sign but they are incredibly durable, it’s like having a healthy Otter Box case!

6. Toothbrushes?

One thing we do not think of is plastic toothbrushes. We most definitely have electric toothbrushes, but they are not as common as ordinary ones. There are now cute bamboo toothbrushes. Next time you need a new toothbrush, consider getting one of those!

These were just a few simple ways to stop polluting our Earth, but there are many more. Start off with these because a little goes a long way. Help save our beautiful Earth!

Olivia Reed

George Mason University '22

Olivia Reed Just a Communications major trying to speak truth through my writing.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com