free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Building a Plus-Size Professional Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Building a professional wardrobe is a challenge to begin with. Gone are the days of oversized tee-shirts and athleisure wear you can throw on ten minutes before class. Being a full-figured women only adds to the challenge of looking professional, all while finding clothes that fit well and don’t break the bank.

Find your trademark staple item

Whether it’s a bold red blazer or an ultra-flattering jumpsuit, try to have at least one fallback piece you can always grab for an extra boost of confidence. Knowing you look fantastic and powerful will only confirm what you already know. Now it’s time to let everyone else know.

Via Torrid

Know where to look

Lane Bryant, Torrid, Target and Forever 21 all offer great professional pieces with a wide range of prices. I usually stick to Lane Bryant and Torrid for staple pieces like a blazer or quality dress pants, but I love visiting Target for blouses and colorful sweaters as an instant wardrobe upgrade on a budget. Target’s Ava & Viv line is underrated, tbh. Focus on colorful dressy tee’s and accent pieces at Forever 21 that could go out of style soon.

Via Target Corporate

Build a vision board while shopping online

My biggest challenge is figuring out how to style specific pieces in a way that is flattering. If you see a model that resembles your body shape while shopping online and you like the outfit she has on, save the picture! Even if you don’t end up buying the outfit she’s wearing, it can inspire you to change it up and make the wardrobe piece feel like it’s brand new. I’ve found one of the best sites for this is Modcloth.

Screenshot via Pinterest

Be aware of the styles that are most flattering to your shape (with exceptions)

I’ve eternally had broad shoulders and it’s a struggle. Therefore, I can’t wear boxy necklines or patterns that really draw attention to my shoulders. Highlight your waistline with a slim, neutral tone belt and empire waist skirt if that’s the area you want to emphasize. If you want to elongate your legs, wear nude colored shoes. It’s all about what you feel comfortable, happy and confident in.

Via The Fashion Freeway

Invest in tailoring and hemming

Honestly, I wish I had started doing this sooner. Splurging on an expensive blazer before my summer internship was not my smartest move, but I took it to have the sleeves shortened a little bit and the shoulders less constricting. I wear that bad boy multiple times a week now and I seldom regret the big purchase. Clothes that fit well not only give you confidence, but people notice. Plus size clothes really have no standard when it comes to sizing. You can have clothes tailored to highlight your best features and conceal the ones you don’t like.

Via Torrid

Shapewear. Shapewear is everything I never knew I needed… and more.

Ill-fitting undergarments not only squeeze and constrict your body, they don’t do you any favors. I invested in several pairs of high-waisted compression underwear and pieces that offer more full-body coverage. These magic bits of spandex can create a seamless, professional look that screams “I actually went to the tailor after I bought this designer skirt and I’m living my best life,” until you can save up the money to actually go.

Via Pinterest

Be practical

If you know you’re never going to wear those block heels, don’t buy them for the sake of having them because they’re ~professional~ or cute. Invest in flats or booties with good arch support. Your back and chest will thank you.

Via Gorgieautiful.com

Mirror what your office execs are wearing

Dress for the job you want takes on a whole new meaning here. If your boss likes to wear a bold statement necklace with her pantsuit, give it a try. Also, use this as boundaries for what’s appropriate office attire. If you never see your supervisor in jeans or casual wear, you probably shouldn’t be seen in it either.

Via Torrid

Friction stick rub

I feel the need to share this with everyone female I know. Gold Bond friction blister stick saved me from a summer of chafed thighs commuting into DC on the Metro. I put it on in the morning before I left whenever I wore a dress or skirt and I was good for the whole day. Absolutely. No. Chafing. It was life-changing and a go-to to keep on your dresser or in your purse. Save yourself from dress pants every day!

Via Youtube

Experiment and have fun with it

Your style can tell your peers so much about you. This is the chance to embody your personality and make yourself stand out in the office. Don’t be afraid to add an accent of color or pop of patterns in fun places. I love adding rings and stacking Alex & Ani bracelets. They’re also a great conversation starter.

Via Giphy

Be wonderfully and fashionably you, collegiettes!

Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it." 
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com