The Broke Girl Spring Break Guide: 5 Things to Do on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s already February and that means March is right around the corner. Do you know what else is around that corner? Spring Break, that beautiful week in March where you’re free to do whatever you so desire while taking a break from your school life. For some students, spring break includes the Bahamas, resorts, cruises, France…you get the picture; for others, it just means heading back home due to the expensive nature of vacations. Heading back home for a week doesn’t have to be dull and boring, though. Here are 5 things you can do over break while on a budget!

1. Visit friends

Via Giphy

Going back home means you’ll be able to hang out with the people you used to see when you lived there all the time. Call up an old friend and hang out! It’s free.

2.  Go to the movies

Via Giphy

So many wonderful movies are coming out this year. This is your chance to go check some out! Search the web for your local movie theatre and see if they have lower prices for matinee viewings or if they have something like five-dollar Fridays–and don’t forget about those student discount days. Use that student ID, girl!

Related: The Best Places to Find Student Discounts

3.  Read a book

Via Giphy

I know, I know. It’s spring break. Why would reading even be an option? Reading for fun is actually very stimulating. It can take you on a vacation to Paris without even really taking you to Paris. So, go ahead, visit your local library and give it a try. You might like it.

4. Play catch up

Via Giphy

College is time consuming. It’s hard to stay up to date with your favorite shows. Grab your favorite pajamas, your popcorn and lay in bed (or sit on the couch) playing catch up for a day or two. If you have a debit or credit card, even better! You can start a free one-month Netflix or Hulu subscription.

Related: How to Plan Your Best Spring Break Ever

5. Spa day

Via Giphy

It’s easy to have a spa day! Walmart can hook you up with some cheap tools and it’s an excuse to sneak by the candy or wine aisle. Pure Ice nail polish is just under $3 and you can find foot scrubs for about $3 as well. But wait, there’s more! 7th Heaven has a face mask for about $2 that will complete your day. All that’s left for you to do is fill up your tub and relax.

And there you have it: 5 inexpensive activities to guarantee you make the most of your spring break… all while being money conscious.

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com