This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Take it from someone who did four in one week: virtual interviews are more complicated than those in person. I mean you, technical difficulties and bad lighting. Although a Zoom interview requires extra preparation for things to go smoothly, the bright side is that no one is expecting perfection. Here are some tips to improve your chances of landing a job:

1. Offer to host

Politeness goes without saying. If it has not been made clear that your interviewer is sending out a Zoom link ahead of the scheduled meeting, ask if they would like you to do so instead. This shows that you are reliable and a team player. I had never set up a virtual meeting on Zoom prior to my first meeting; here are instructions on how-to: https://bit.ly/32F4ALD

2. Do background research

Both on the position (which you should have done prior to applying) and on the interviewer. It is especially important for virtual interviews as to not be caught off-guard by the interviewer’s appearance. A sense of familiarity will put you more at ease. Check out the company or organization’s website for a profile. You can also look them up on LinkedIn. Note: if you are on their Facebook profile, that is too far.

Related: Navigating Job Recruitment During COVID-19: Here’s What Some Experts Have to Say

3. Prepare at least two questions

This goes for all interviews. Have questions that are specific to the position, and those that are generally applicable as back-up. By listing questions ahead of time, you are prepared for when inevitably asked and will look like a more interested candidate. Just avoid anything too personal, related to salary, or answers that can be found through a Google search. Ask questions along the lines of 1) What qualities make a good candidate for this role?, 2) What does the typical work environment/day look like?, 3) Are there any skills or information the applicant should familiarize themselves with prior to starting?

4. Dress professionally

From the waist up, at least. Most interviews last under 30 minutes, so put on a shirt with a collar. Show the interviewer you are serious about the position. 

5. Have your resume readily available

For in-person interviews, it is always recommended to bring your own copy of a resume or CV. The same applies here. Best is to have a printed copy available on your work surface for reference. PDFs work too, just make the window is easily accessible or opened adjacent to the Zoom window. 

6. Find a quiet location

This is critical. Avoid lawnmowers, humming noises, children, roommates, and alarms. Mute your phone and close all of your other laptop windows prior to the interview. (Also, hide your phone out of reach unless it is the device you are using to interview.) It is understandable if something outside becomes a distraction, but make sure you minimize the opportunity in the first place. 

7. Test your set-up ahead of time

Also, a good idea if you are not on Zoom regularly: Check that your audio and video works and is high quality. You can always use your phone or buy a USB device to supplement it. Unless internet connectivity is a regular issue, it’s expected to have your video on. Place your device the correct distance from your face before the interview begins. 

8. Clear your background space

If you are Zoom-ing in your own home, make sure the background isn’t busy. This can be distracting for the interviewer and reflect upon you poorly. Tidy up whatever space is within your camera frame — make sure to get the spots behind your desk chair, in case you have to stand up.

9. Watch the lighting

No backlight. I repeat, no backlight. Either choose a room with bright overhead or natural light or use a desk lamp facing your direction. Do not sit with a big window or light source behind you, as it will darken your face. 

Related: What Happens After College?

10. Engage in mental prep

Everyone does this differently, but some good ideas would be having a small snack, drinking water, walking around, or talking to someone you like directly prior to your interview to calm the nerves. Just have Zoom open (with audio and video off) a few minutes prior to the expected interview time.

11. Take pauses

This applies to all interviews. A small pause is always more acceptable than speaking without an idea of where the sentence is headed. This will also help you avoid speech disfluency. You can take a sip of water to fill the air while you think, but no snacks.

12. Exchange pleasantries

Yes, it is a social construct, but it counts. Additionally, it is also a great way to break the ice. Talking shortly on how the other’s weekend or day can make a huge difference in the interviewer’s demeanor and overall impression of you. 

13. Thank the interviewer (twice)

This is the best way to show that you value the interviewer’s time and consideration. Thank them at the start of the interview, and at the end. You can also send a follow-up email to really drive the point home.

Congrats! Now, you are ready for a virtual interview. Make sure to relax and have confidence in your qualifications — if you have made it to the interview stage then you are already in a good place. 

Sophia Chapin

George Mason University '21

Sophia Chapin is an alumni of George Mason University. Her articles reflect a journey of learning about environmental and social justice issues.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com