This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

With everything going on right now, I’ve really had more time to do some reflecting on what I want to do after college. I’m a rising senior graduating (hopefully) in the Winter of 2021 and that date is slowly creeping up on me to figure out what I want to do. I’ve double majored with a minor to make sure that I have enough options when it comes to the job pool. I know for a fact I want to go to law school, just not when.

I still haven’t decided which path I want to take after I graduate. Here are some tips for those who also struggle with figuring out what to do after graduation.

It’s okay to live with family

A lot of people want to move out right after they graduate which can cause a lot of financial pressure right off the back. It’s, absolutely, okay to live with family if the situation is ideal and your comfortable doing so. Even if you’re a little bit uncomfortable because your mom makes you run errands or your dad makes you cut the grass, that doesn’t mean you have to move out and pay rent or a mortgage at the beginning stages of your career.

It’s okay to take a break

Explore, make new friends, travel! It’s okay to take a temporary break to do some soul searching, especially if you plan on going back to school. Think about it. Most people have been to school since they turned 5 all the way up to the age of 22 or 23 graduating from college. It’s okay to want to take a small break from working or education. Just remember that this break isn’t forever and should only be temporary; you should, also, be reflecting and planning during this break for the future. Set a date where you plan on hunkering down and starting what you’ve planned.

It’s okay to get a temporary job

Whether it be a job at Target, a dog walker, or an internship, it’s perfectly fine to get a temporary job in the meanwhile. If you know where you want to head career-wise in the future, try to get jobs that will help you in the long run for those positions. For example, if you want to be a third-grade teacher, get a job as a daycare worker for children in the meantime.

It’s okay not to know your future

This is scary! I know. Most of humanity doesn’t know their actual future. Nothing is guaranteed. I was recently watching a show (I believe it was “Supernatural”) where one of the characters asked what the other character was going to do. He replied something along the lines of, “I don’t know. Isn’t that wonderful?” and disappeared. And it is wonderful in a way not knowing what will come to pass in the future. I don’t believe in definite paths; every choice paves the way to a different future in my opinion.

Think about it. If you could see the future and the moments you saw were good, you’ll be overly eager for it, maybe even not content with what you already have because of knowing what you could or will have in the future. If it’s bad, you’ll spend your days worrying and questioning and dreading what may come to pass. Both of which can change your views on life, your perspective, and your activities within the present.

Ignorance when it comes to the future is actually a bliss that we’re allotted when you think about it.

It’s okay to take one day at a time

My father constantly tells me that. Take one day at a time. No matter what the future will come. What matters the most is that you’re happy with how you’ve spent your time getting there. Spending most of your time in a constant state of worry isn’t something I recommend. It’s okay to take one day at a time to figure out your life.

These are just a few tips to think about when it comes to life after college or just life in general, collegiettes.

Zeairah Webb

George Mason University '22

Zeairah is a senior at George Mason University. She spends most of her time reading, doing homework, and watching Netflix. Her favorite color is yellow and her favorite animals are dogs. She is double majoring in marketing and management with a minor in journalism with hopes of one day studying intellectual property law. She aspires to be many things such as a legal consultant/attorney, a creative director for Disney, or a travel/lifestyle writer for a magazine.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com