This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

No ladies, it’s not the apocalypse, it’s just Valentine’s Day. Long term significant others, hopeless romantics and monogamists line the streets. The shelves of stores are stocked to the brim with teddy bears that look like they ate another teddy bear and any and every candy in the shape of a heart wrapped up in a pretty little box with a bow slapped on top. All these factors considered, it can be very easy to fall into a pessimistic, “love is dead” kind of perspective when you’re not in a relationship or you aren’t happy in your current relationship. That being said, Leslie Knope blessed us with a new and improved version of Valentine’s Day: Galentine’s Day, a day where we can fully appreciate the women in our lives and what they mean to us! Here are some ways to celebrate with the women in your life who lift you up and help you realize that you don’t need a romantic relationship to feel validated:

Via Giphy

1. Dance Party

While this sounds extremely cringy, my friends and I swear by this as an instant way to lift our moods and spend time with one another.

Via Giphy

2. Curate an empowering playlist

A good playlist is essential to any celebration especially with the aforementioned dance party. Here a playlist from the Her Campus George Mason Spotify for all your Galentine’s Day needs!

Via Giphy

3. Coffee Date

My friends and I love to go to De Clieu Coffee & Sandwiches to get work done, treat ourselves and get away from campus for a few hours. One of the most empowering ways to celebrate Galentine’s Day is to keep on your grind.

Via Giphy

4. Be Present

This means putting your phone down! I know this seems like a crazy concept but in order to properly celebrate the ones you love you have to be in the moment without distraction. I think this is one of the most meaningful ways you can spend the holiday.

Via Giphy

5. Bake Together

If you have access to a kitchen this can be a great way to spend time with your gals and indulge that sweet tooth. So make some cute little sugar cookies and let the celebration begin!

Via Giphy

6. Give Each Other Valentines

Keep the elementary school tradition alive by giving your friends cute, tangible tokens of how much you love them.

Via Giphy

Related: Gifts for Your GALentine

7. Movie Marathon

This is a great way to unwind and mindlessly indulge in all the delicious treats you just made. Pick a couple classics and grab your favorite snacks!

Via Giphy

8. Tell People How Much They Mean to You

Especially being away at college, it is important to reach out to the women you don’t see every day to tell them they are loved. Call your mom! Hug your friends!

Via Giphy

9. Learn Something Together

There is nothing more powerful than gaining a new skill or knowledge, especially with your girls by your side. Take a painting or self defense class together, there’s always time to learn something new!

Via Giphy

10. Spa Night

It is so important to unwind and recognize all the hard work you do each and every day. Take this Galentine’s Day to allocate some time for self care.

Via Giphy

In conclusion, Galentine’s Day gives us all something to celebrate, one another. Make this February 14th a day to recognize your worth and the worth of the strong, independent women around you. Go use these ideas make it a great day with your #GirlGang, collegiette!

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!