This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The most wonderful time of the year, spooky season! Candy, harvest, and the sweet scents of autumn. The world is definitely going through some spooky situations resulting in most of our year being indoors more than we like. It seems like we’ve also become accustomed to our new normal. Many of us can relate to Spongebob being indoors with his used napkin, penny and chip. Have no fears collegiettes, because I have all the secrets to how you can make the best of your spooky season, quarantine edition.

Halloween night is always fun, it’s the one time of the year you can dress up as whoever you want (without appropriation of course) with no worries of judgment. Halloween parties are usually the way to go, but this year I suggest settling for a small gathering. Hanging out with a small group of friends and family is always a good time, even prior to our new normal. So grab a couple of folks who you enjoy their company the most and prepare for the spookiest Halloween ever.

Related Article: 7 Reasons Why Spooky Season is The Best Season

What’s a social gathering without music? Spooky, but that’s not the type of spooky we’re going for here. Nothing screams festivities like dressing up and putting together a really good playlist. A few suggestions would have to be Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” Rihanna’s “Same Ol’ Mistake,” and Beyonce’s “Haunted.” The list can go on with Screamin’ Jay Hawkins’ “I Put a Spell on You” or Kehlani’s very own “Gangster” will be sure to get your small gathering going. Even though this is a more casual event, if you do decide to wear costumes with your choice of company; of course a mini photoshoot is necessary. With a bomb, spooky playlist I’m sure that you and your company will come out with editorial, magazine-worthy pictures. So make like Madonna, and strike a pose! 

Now that your spooky playlist is covered, I bet you’re wondering what else could I possibly do during this quarantine Halloween: Carving pumpkins! This is always fun and is usually done a few days before Halloween as the ultimate decoration to light up the night. Yes, there will most likely be a decline of trick or treaters due to COVID-19, so no worries about getting a late start on setting your masterpiece a little later than usual. Carving a pumpkin on Halloween night makes a great activity to do for Halloween night. Warning, pumpkin guts may be scary, but it provides the best memories you’ll never forget. Make sure you snap some candids of this event. The reaction to your peers will vary. If you are hanging with a competitive group, you could always start a competition and as a reward to the great pumpkin, they could receive the ultimate spooky basket. If you’re feeling really optimistic, you could also try to make a pumpkin pie with the leftover filling from your pumpkin carving.

Related Article: How to Build the Perfect Spooky Basket

The night is still young, let your inner child loose while watching some of your favorite Halloween specials. If horror movies aren’t your thing I suggest watching films like “Twitches,” “Death Becomes Her,” “Twilight” or “The Corpse Bride.” These films are lighthearted and also have a comedic appeal. These films will definitely take you on a trip down memory lane which always sparks up a fun conversation. 

Hopefully, you are inspired and no longer in a panic on how to have a great, yet safe spooky season during quarantine. Happy Halloween collegiettes!

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com