Wellness

Single? Date yourself this Valentine’s Day.

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Dating yourself can be a great way to practice self love.

Valentine’s Day can be a source of loneliness and negative feelings for many single people, but it doesn’t have to be. Try dating yourself!

Dating yourself means treating yourself the way you’d want a partner to treat you. This means taking yourself out on dates, being positive and kind to yourself, and listening to your personal needs. Having this philosophy can make a positive impact on your life.

Personally, I’m very busy during the week and I often want to hang out with my friends on the weekend, which leaves very little time for myself. To remedy this, I try to set aside a weekend day every other week to “date myself.” Solo dates are great because they can improve your self-confidence and independence and empower you to try new things. 

Your solo date can be as simple or extravagant as you want. One of my personal favorites is going to a coffee shop, getting a chai latte and a croissant, and taking cute pics to post on my instagram. 

I love exploring Arlington and Washington D.C. in my free time on the weekends. George Mason University is only a 25 minute metro ride from downtown D.C. and there are so many cute cafes and fun attractions to see. One of my favorites is the View of D.C. experience in Arlington, Virginia. It’s free, and not usually busy, so you can have the whole building to yourself! It’s super cool to be able to look out over the city.

Fun solo dates like these can empower you to feel more comfortable spending time alone and enjoying your own company. Doing this builds self confidence and independence, and raising self confidence tends to improve self esteem (Toronto Psychologists). 

If a solo date in the city or eating by yourself sounds overwhelming to you, don’t worry. Solo dates can also be something more low key and simple, such as a self-care night. For example, baths are proven to be very relaxing and are easy to take to another level. One of my favorite TikTok creators, Meg Hughes has some great TikToks about her self-care nights that I really recommend using for inspiration. 

Meg Hughes’ Self-care inspo

There’s several major benefits of taking baths including they can promote restful sleep, soothes stress and tension in your muscles, lowers blood pressure, and reduces stress and anxiety (Everyday Health 2022). Lighting a candle or playing music can only increase these benefits by creating a calm and relaxing environment. 

Related: The Self-Proclaimed Self-Care Connoisseur’s Self-Care Routine

Additionally, talking to yourself like you’d talk to a partner has been proven to be good for your mental health. This idea of thinking positively about yourself is referred to as positive self talk. For example, instead of worrying how others might perceive you on your solo date, or if you are out of place, think about how you are proud of yourself for trying new things that might be scary. Positive self talk can lower rates of depression, improve your coping skills, decrease feelings of distress, increase your lifespan, and more. It’s a powerful tool to use to improve your mood and outlook as well. 

Affirmations are another way to talk to yourself like you’d talk to your partner. “I am strong enough to deal with anything that may happen” and “I am in the right place at the right time, doing the right thing” are two of my favorites. Setting aside a minute in the morning while getting ready or at night when winding down are easy ways to work affirmations into your daily routine.

So, this Valentine’s season, treat yourself like you’d want a partner to treat you! Go on a cute coffee shop date, have a self-care night, and repeat some positive affirmations to yourself. I will definitely take myself on a Valentine’s date this year. Let us know @hercampusgmu on insta if you do too!

Katarina Benson

George Mason University '25

Katarina Benson is the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at George Mason chapter. She oversees all articles published at George Mason University. They are currently a junior majoring in English with a dual cultural studies and film studies concentration. Beyond Her Campus, Kat works as the public relations student coordinator and as an editorial assistant at George Mason. In her free time, Kat enjoys playing tennis, reading, and trying new cafes. She's a big fan of 90s shows and movies and loves to travel. They also post about books and reading at @strawberryblondefolklore on instagram.