This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As my final semester of college comes to a close, I have been thinking back and reflecting on my time at Mason over the past four years. Here are a few life lessons and pieces of advice from an (almost) graduate to her peers.

1. You never know when things will change

Last year, I left my apartment on campus for a week relaxing at home during spring break. That then turned into two weeks, which then turned into me returning to pack up my things and heading home to finish my degree online. If the pandemic has taught me anything, it’s that you never know what might happen next and to always be prepared. 

2. Give yourself a break

Burnout is real, especially when you’re going to classes, doing homework, working part-time and trying to stay involved on campus. It is SO important to give yourself a break for your mental health and wellbeing. I normally try to give myself one day off a week, no homework, no classes, just time to relax and do the things I want to do. This isn’t possible every week, especially around midterms and the end of the semester, but I try and do it as much as possible and highly recommend you try to as well.

3. Community is everything

I truly don’t know what my college experience would have been like without Her Campus and I will always be grateful to have been a part of this amazing organization. I have met some of my best friends through HC and the other organizations I’ve been a part of. I always know that I have someone I can FaceTime when I’m feeling down, someone to sit in silence on Zoom while we do homework together to hold each other accountable and someone who will always be down for a spontaneous road trip. 

4. It’s okay to say “no”

You do not owe it to anyone to agree to everything you’re asked to do. Prioritize your mental health. Don’t spread yourself too thin. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for saying “no”. Focus your time and energy on things that are important to you and don’t forget to practice self-care.

5. Never stop believing in yourself

I’ve certainly had my fair share of struggles over the past four years. I’ve dealt with my own mental health issues, loss and grieving and oftentimes, feeling a lack of support from the faculty and staff that is supposed to help me. Despite these struggles, I’ve always done my best to keep believing in myself and my ability. Regardless of what you’re going through, I promise you’ve got this.

Good luck on your college journey, collegiettes! 

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com