This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

What do you say to the woman that has given you everything you could have ever wanted? Mom, as we both know, I am better at expressing my feelings by writing them than I could ever articulate verbally. I see pieces of you in myself everyday. You’ve influenced my life in so many different ways, big and small. So here is a letter to say thank you.

Someone asked me the other day why do I take my coffee with just two creams and two sugars. I take my coffee with two creams and two sugars not because I like the taste or because I think that is the perfect balance, but because you do. I remember when we used to go to breakfast and you would get coffee with two creams and two sugars. No matter where we were it was the perfect balance for you and you were so content with your coffee. To be perfectly honest, I don’t even like coffee, but when I do I take it with two creams and two sugars. All because of you.

Via personal photos

You always kept the sign, “Great women raise great women who raise great women.”

I used to always joke and tell you that they could have cut the last part off because neither me or Lani were having children…I was wrong. I know with the arrival of my niece in June the phrase will have rang true. My sister will be a great mother because we had the best example of what a mother could be. You always supported us and let us make decisions on our own, even if you didn’t agree.

Related: A Letter to My Unborn Niece

Thank you for letting me figure out life on my own. Whether it was school, religion, or my future. You always say, “Whatever you want to do, I’m here for it,” and that motivated me more than you know. I recognize the privilege that I have by having such a strong relationship with you. I try not to take for granted that I have both parents and a support system that is truly unmatched.

I just want you to know that I am forever grateful for everything you have provided for me. The opportunities, the experiences, the great stories and the even better laughs are something that I will carry with me forever. You are every sitcom mom rolled into one. With the beauty and brilliance of Claire Huxtable, with the wit of dark skin Aunt Viv and the sternness of Rochelle from Everybody Hates Chris. You’re my best friend, just like Nikki and Kim from The Parkers.  

Forever your baby I’ll be. I love you.

Angelica Walker

George Mason University

Angelica is a Junior Communications major from Lynchburg, VA. She has a concentration in Public Relations and one day hopes to work for the NBA. She is also pursuing a double minor in Sports Communication and African and African American Studies. She is Vice President of the Black Student Alliance and is also a Mason Ambassador.