This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

This past year, I received a BEAN SET cold brew coffee maker, and I have found it to be one of the most practical and one of the most delicious gifts I have ever received. I am now able to make a week’s worth of cold brew with the help of this little machine; and, with a splash of oat milk, the cold brew is *chef’s kiss.* In addition to being terribly scrumptious, at the end of each week, I am now in possession of a few tablespoons worth of coffee grounds. I was already aware of some of the basic uses for coffee grounds, but decided to conduct even more research on its versatility. I discovered that coffee grounds possess a variety of beneficial uses; and, as a result, we should all be encouraged to drink even more coffee!

One of my personal favorite uses for coffee grounds is to use them as a fertilizer for your garden. As plants begin to grow, they absorb the existing nutrients found in the potting soil and ultimately leave it exhausted. In effect, gardens need to be fertilized in order for the plants to receive the necessary nutrients to flourish. Coffee grounds contain several key minerals, including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, all of which are essential for plant growth. These minerals are subsequently released into the soil when the grounds are lightly spread on and integrated within the soil. However, when adding coffee grounds to your garden, make sure to first conduct research on the type of soil your plants prefer because coffee grounds have been found to alter the soil pH to become more acidic. 

Another one of my favorite uses for coffee grounds is to use them as an exfoliator. They are great for your face, lips or body, and can smooth and soften your skin. You can also mix the grounds in water, coconut oil or honey, and produce a sweet smelling and inexpensive scrub. In addition, the caffeine in the coffee grounds can help improve the look of your skin through tightening and de-puffing measures. Although short term, it is a great DIY hack and can save you even more money from the expensive caffeine masks and scrubs that are found at almost all beauty locations. 

In addition to being a scrub for your skin, coffee grounds can also be utilized as a cleaning scrub for hard-to-clean surfaces. Given their coarse texture, they can help remove dirt and build-up on pots, pans and even outdoor surfaces. Especially when cleaning outside, the organic nature of coffee grounds is extremely helpful to removing dirt while also being sustainable.

As someone who also loves the smell of coffee, I have also used coffee grounds as potpourri. Coffee grounds can neutralize strong odors and thus fill your room with the delicious and welcoming smell of coffee. The smell lasts for a relatively long time as well, so it is perfect timing for when you finish the week’s worth of coffee from the BEAN Set.

Although coffee may be seen first as a delicious drink option, coffee grounds offer a variety of innovative ways to maximize its uses . It can also justify the need for a second or third cup of coffee in the morning! 

Kathleen Dwyer

George Mason University '23

Kathleen is a junior in the Honors College at George Mason University where she is majoring in Integrative Studies with a concentration in Leadership and Organizational Development. Kathleen is originally from Haymarket, Virginia and is passionate about all things Disney. Outside of school, she is a Leadership Consultant at the LEAD Office on campus and enjoys to spend time with family and friends!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com