This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As an eager incoming freshman, I set out on a journey to find a home away from home. I wanted to be a part of a group of people who I knew would support me and gave me the free range to express myself as a “creative.” I strived to find a safe space to express my true authenticity free of judgement and ridicule, which led me to you, Her Campus George Mason. 

In the last four years, this organization has inspired me to talk about topics that were often ignored. It provided me an outlet to illustrate my true talents as a retired high school writer and develop a new identity for myself as a college writer. 

My articles helped me heal, vent, and praise my experiences. They helped me cry and challenged me to be greater than ever before. I admitted my wrongs, and proclaimed my rights in a few articles. I gave you a piece of my reality that I had never exposed. But most importantly, my articles allowed me to be Bri.

It’s been a long and hard journey, but I am forever grateful for my college experiences. From my first article that spread my excitement as a Patriot trying to face the chaos in the JC during lunch time, to me publicly coming out about my depression I faced this year, these experiences are what molded me into a woman.

5 Signs You’re A Freshman at George Mason

But one thing that always remained for sure throughout these last four years is my love for writing. You transformed me into a creative that I thought I had to hide from the world because my realities were too raw and too real. You showed me accountability and gave me a sense of balance as I looked forward to writing articles despite my busy schedule. You were the first RSO I joined and the first eBoard that I had the pleasure of serving on. Without you, my leadership on campus would not exist. And even when there were times when I thought I was just too damn busy and could not give it my all, you guys accepted me back with open arms and understood that sometimes it’s okay not to be okay. 

I’m Back, Her Campus George Mason

I want to thank you all for being my listening ear when I felt alone. For being the therapy I thought I never needed. My time and dedication to this organization will forever be embedded in my heart as I close a new chapter.

I wish you all the best moving forward, and I am proud of the girl gang family I established in the making. I was here when we had just a little chapter composed of about 10 writers to now having over 30.  You gave me the opportunity to see the potential in myself that I never thought was there and I will forever be grateful for that.

So until next time collegiettes! Bri Hayes is officially signing off as a newly retired college writer and 2020 graduate of George Mason University.

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.