Coachella 2024 Lineup: Good or Bad?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

A look into this year’s Coachella lineup and how it resembles lineups from the past. 

When you think about music festivals, which is the first that comes to your mind? Did you think of Coachella? While there are hundreds of music festivals that occur each year, Coachella is up on the list of the most popular, well-known music festivals in the world. Artists and listeners come from all over the world for the double weekend festival to live their music dreams in Coachella Valley in Indio, California. 

For Gen Z, Coachella was always a dream. Growing up watching the get-ready-with-mes and the weekend vlogs from girls  sent by different up and coming brands, Coachella seemed like the ultimate place to be. While the festival is still extremely popular, I would say the exposure has died down within recent years, due mostly because of the lineups. The events that occurred at the 2023 Coachella were nothing short of a disappointment. The Frank Ocean debacle left a sour taste in a lot of attendee’s mouths as they spent hundreds of dollars to

attend the festival to see him headlining. Coachella fans hoped that this year’s festival could make up for last year’s fiasco, but the reactions to the 2024 lineup drop were not what Coachella was expecting. 

Related: These Coachella 2024 Lineup Reactions Are All Over The Place

The 2024 lineup has four headliners: Lana Del Rey, Tyler, The Creator, Doja Cat, and No Doubt. While these are all big names, fans were highly disappointed with the full line up. The majority of the positive feedback has come from the No Doubt reunion and the excitement of seeing Gwen Stefani back in her band era.

Similarly, there is excitement from smaller batches of fans, specifically K-Pop fans with groups like Le Sserafim and Ateez continuing the trend of K-Pop groups at music festivals. Sabrina Carpenter and Reneé Rapp are two more names on the lineup that finally got the recognition they deserved in 2023. While there are a lot of good artists attending the festival, fans feel the lineup overall leaves a bit to be desired. The smaller artists seem unappealing and do not make it worth spending upwards of $500 on a ticket. 

Related: All About The K-Pop Stars Headlining Lollapalooza 2023

A lot of fans are wondering if the downfall of Coachella has finally begun. With new festivals popping up each year, there is more competition than ever in the festival industry. Other big festivals such as Lollapalooza and GovBall are quickly growing in popularity, landing huge headlining artists each year. The aura and vibe of Coachella just isn’t unique anymore and this 2024 lack-luster lineup isn’t helping. While I personally like a lot of the artists attending, I agree that the lineup does not feel full enough to warrant spending so much money on a ticket. Could a better lineup next year give Coachella back its festival crown, or has the festival’s time come and gone?

Shea Carroll

George Mason University '24

Shea Carroll is a senior Communications and PR major at George Mason University. Having finished up her soccer career on the Women's team at Mason, she is ready to dive into her dream of working within the fashion, beauty, and entertainment industries. She loves keeping up with the trends, fashion, and traveling.