All About the K-POP Stars Headlining Lollapalooza 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCT chapter.

Make way for the 4th Generation of K-POP this festival season! 

Lollapalooza is one of the biggest American music festivals, right alongside Coachella. Whilst originating in the US, it has become a global spectacle, spawning smaller versions in countries such as Brazil and France and drawing some of the biggest crowds in the world.

This festival is known for having some of the biggest names in the music industry as its headliners. From Ariana Grande to Megan The Stallion, Metallica to Tyler The Creator, this festival has seen it all! In 2022 alone, the festival saw performances by Green Day, Dua Lipa and BTS’ J-Hope! 

With the barrier between Western and K-POP industries shattered by previous generations, it’s no surprise that the new generation of K-POP is keen to do the same. The five-member boy group – Tomorrow X Together first performed at Lollapalooza in 2022, and this August, they’ll be breaking even more boundaries as headliners! 

Tomorrow X Together, usually stylising themselves as TXT, is a ground-breaking group known for their unskippable discography, awe-inspiring stage performance and iconic style. The group comprises Soobin – the leader- and Yeonjun, Beomgyu, Taehyun and Huening Kai. 

The group is well-known for their unique concepts, always bringing something new to the musical scene. TXT has something for everyone, from pop-rock to hip-hop, disco to RnB, collaborating with big names across the industries, from K-POP to Western Music. Additionally, TXT is managed by Bighit Music, the same company as the uber-popular boy-group BTS! 

The members of TXT, whilst also being some of the most talented artists in the industry, are also known for pushing the boundaries of fashion. There’s nothing not to love about these amazing artists, and personally, I can’t wait to see what they have to showcase as headliners for Lollapalooza 2023. 

But TXT is not the only group shattering glass ceilings at Lollapalooza this year; unless you’ve been avidly avoiding social media, you must have heard the songs Hype Boy, Attention or Ditto! 

NewJeans is a five-member girl group that debuted last August and is set to become the first female K-pop group to perform at Lollapalooza EVER. The group comprises Minji, Hanni, Danielle, Haerin, and Hyein. 

Their music has been hailed as a breath of fresh air in the K-POP industry, with elements of Y2K and retro style mixed with a cutesy aesthetic. Whilst this group is still new to the scene, they’ve become super popular in Korea and further worldwide, breaking records left, right and centre. The only way is up for these girls, with their unique sound, style and talents. The group is set to perform at Lollapalooza in Chicago in August, just like their seniors and labelmates – TXT. Though they won’t be headlining, they are still one of the most anticipated performances for the festival. 

Several other artists in the K-industry have also been slated to perform at Lollapalooza in 2023: K-R&B artists DPR Live and DPR Ian, as well as popular K-rock band, The Rose. 

Lollapalooza 2023 is set to be a major event, with these new artists bringing an entirely new sound to the stage! I don’t know about you, but I certainly can’t wait!

Nuhaa Isaacs is a Cape Town born and raised student at the University of Cape Town. She is currently studying toward a BA triple majoring in English Literary Studies, Media and Writing as well as Gender Studies. She has been a staff writer for Her Campus UCT since 2021, and a current member of the Social Media Sub-committee at Her Campus UCT. Sappy romantic fantasy novels and incredibly specific Spotify playlists are everything to her (as well as her three cats: Zuri, Shelley and Peanut). You can find her on Instagram (@nuhaa_i) or Tiktok (@nuhaaorwhatever) probably posting silly little outfit videos. Get in touch via email for any formal inquiries: nuhaa.isaacs@gmail.com.