This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Hey collegiettes, winter has arrived, but so will spring in a few months! I think I can confidently say that most of us only love to plan ahead when it comes to traveling. However, as we all know, traveling involves transportation and most of the time that involves paying for airfare. That’s why I have gathered a few of my recommended spring break spots for a collegiate on a budget. 

Related: Spring Break Self-Care

East Coast

1. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

The first destination is famous for being one of the busiest beaches on the week of spring break, but I think that this destination holds more to it than just a bustling beach town. As it is an easy six-hour drive from Northern Virginia, Myrtle Beach not only has a bright nightlife whether on the beach or on the streets, but also various tourist attractions ranging from theme parks, water parks, mini-golf courses, and carnival rides. This destination will definitely be the best choice for big groups of friends or families. Now, although prices rise a few months before spring break, you should definitely keep your eyes on any hotels or Airbnb in the area right now. 

Image via TripShock!

2. Savannah, Georgia

Off to the south, I would recommend you put the beautiful city on your list of must-visit destinations because of its very artistic and historic vibe that will leave you wanting to live there. There are so many things that can be done in the city itself, and most of these things are very laidback. I would recommend this destination if you’re looking for a location that’s not much of a spa day, but more of an enlightening experience in itself. You could explore the iconic Bonaventure Cemetery, stroll the Old Town streets, visit their art and history museums, or stroll through their parks. Savannah has been one of the destinations to watch out for in the past year. Because of its recognition, I would suggest booking Airbnb’s by the city center and booking flights at the off-peak season.  

Image via Visit Savannah

Related: How to Plan Your Best Spring Break Ever

West Coast

3. Denver, Colorado

Now onto the west! If you’re not really up for a warm spring break, then maybe you can head for the Rockies instead. Although spring brings warmer weather to the Rockies, you can still enjoy various nature activities like rock climbing, rappelling, and hiking. Aside from those sports, skiing is also available for spring break and will definitely be more bearable than if you did it in the dead of winter. To wind everything down, if you’re missing out on some splashing fun, you can head out to one of their hot springs, the Strawberry Hot Springs. To save on accommodation, I would recommend booking your accommodation as early as now, as well as your skiing tickets. Plan ahead for any airfare sales that may come along, or book your flight right after the holidays as prices drastically drop after the new year. So, if you and your friends are trying to opt for a more adventure-seeking trip, then this place is right for you. 

Image via 5280

4. Los Angeles, California

For all the city-geeks out there, visiting Los Angeles will definitely bring out different options for your spring break trip. Start your trip by soaking up the sun at one of the many L.A. beaches. After, you could party at any of the hippest bars in the city or maybe visit one of the highly acclaimed museums in the city. Take a few pictures at the LACMA or go on a food tour of the cities best food spots. The next day, you could visit Disneyland or Universal Studios to reminisce about some childhood memories or maybe explore Griffith Park and take the iconic La La Land photo by the bench. Staying in the city has never been easier since there are tons of Airbnb’s available at any time of the year, and fit for any budget. For flights, however, as prices may rise during the holidays, be sure to book your ticket after the holiday season. Nevertheless, Los Angeles has a lot of fun options for you to choose from. Perfect for any group of friends, couples, or families. 

Image via Los Angeles Oxy College 

Related: 7 Spring Break Tips from Roxanne and Suzanne of DictationLIVE

International

5. Tulum, Mexico

If you think you can splurge a little bit more money for spring break, and you really want to avoid any of the busy beaches in America, then I would highly recommend visiting Tulum in Mexico. Cancun is a very popular destination for spring breakers, but Tulum is a hidden paradise for what the cool people. I visited Tulum in spring break 2018 and it was a blast. The beaches weren’t busy at all, the streets weren’t packed, and the tourist spots were pretty easy to get to. There was so much to experience and learn about the culture there. Plus, you get to visit the Cenotes, Mayan ruins, and of course, try out some authentic Mexican food. For accommodations, I think booking an Airbnb will definitely save you more money, and if you can, look at flights as early as you can. Although March isn’t a peak tourist time at Tulum, some flights may still be cheap because of Cancun’s active tourist attractions during spring break.

Image via Visit Mexico

Dominique Bernardino

George Mason University '21

Originally from the Philippines, Dominique "Niki" Bernardino is a rising junior pursuing a double degree in Public Relations and Film at George Mason University. When she isn't managing her social media internship or working as a multimedia editor, she enjoys watching sappy rom-coms, listening to k-pop, and exploring the internet.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com