Selfie in plane cockpit
Selfie in plane cockpit
Photo by Sameera Duggal
Life > Experiences

Are you the only woman in a room full of men?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When people think of pilots, they think of men.

I have always loved the thrill of sitting in a plane just about to take off. The vibration of the engine, the motion getting faster and faster, the feeling of being pushed back in your seat, and finally, the liftoff – the experience makes me ecstatic. So, it wasn’t a surprise to me when I decided I wanted to learn how to fly an airplane.

Now I always knew the aviation industry was filled with men, but it never occurred to me just how male-dominated the industry really is. In flight school, all but one of my flight instructors, chief instructors, and dispatchers, were men. People unknowingly assumed I was training to be a flight attendant whenever I told them I had chosen a career in aviation. And now that I work as a flight instructor, all my colleagues and mentors are, you guessed it – men. Being the only woman in my workplace, I have experienced first-hand the gender disparities that exist in my industry. So, it’s exciting when I see a fellow girl rocking a polo and teaching a student how to take off.

Related: So, You’re The Only Girl In The Room

In today’s world, women are breaking barriers and stepping into traditionally male-dominated industries with confidence and determination. Whether it’s aviation, tech, finance, engineering, or any other field, women are proving themselves to be formidable forces, capable of excelling in any role they undertake. However, navigating through these industries can present unique challenges for us. Despite progress, gender disparities and biases still exist in many workplaces. I can say from personal experience that many people still believe men are smarter, have better leadership skills, are more equipped to deal with pressure, and are overall, more qualified than women. But we know that that is simply just not true! Us women can excel in anything we put our minds to, including jobs that were historically dedicated to men.

As a flight instructor fresh out of flight school, I was often overlooked by prospective students and sometimes, even my colleagues. Students would purposefully seek out the male instructors to clarify doubts or get advice. I was, many times, talked over or interrupted. I even had a student switch to a male instructor as he did not believe a young female could teach him how to fly as well as my male counterpart.

It’s easy in situations like these to start doubting your own abilities. It’s even easier to fall back and become more reserved. But that approach only hindered my progress. Any time I have ever felt less than or not equally qualified, I always take a moment to remember one universal fact:

I bring value to the space I take.

There is a reason why you were chosen to fill that role and take on that responsibility. Your differences make you unique and competitive. Don’t let someone else’s perception of you make you doubt yourself. 

It can be difficult to get your voice out there or snag a place in the old boys’ club. In the end, we may never truly be a part of the gang. But that’s okay. We’re meant to stand out and follow the unbeaten path. It’s never easy but it is so rewarding. 

My love for flying trumps any glass ceiling installed on my way up.

When I am not feeling confident and sure in myself, I fake it. When someone behaves disrespectfully towards me, I speak up. I try to use my voice in any opportunity I get. Make people remember that you’re there and all the expertise you bring along with you. I am no less a flight instructor just because I am a young woman. I don’t know any less just because I am a woman. I am equally important, skilled, and knowledgeable as anyone else. And so are you!

Remember, YOU bring value to the space you take. So, own it.

Sameera Duggal

George Mason University '24

Sameera Duggal is a senior at George Mason and a Business major with a concentration in Management. Her primary career is in aviation and she works as a full time flight instructor. Her dream is to become an airline pilot and travel the world. She loves writing, art, hanging out with family and friends, her awesome pup Scooby, and flying.