This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I don’t know about you, but 2021 really has not turned out to be my year so far. We’ve been living in this global pandemic for over a year now and it still feels like the end is months and months away. Plus, we’re in the middle of the semester, so my motivation is just about gone. Burnout is real, y’all. So, the way I’ve chosen to combat all of this is by constantly listening to music. Here are 11 songs that have been giving me the motivation to push on forward, and hopefully they’ll do the same for you!

1. “All Star” by Smash Mouth

Who doesn’t love this song? People may not take “All Star” seriously anymore, but this song is still super great! The beat is fun and the tune is unbelievably catchy. If you don’t have this song on your good vibes playlist, then you may want to rethink that decision.

2. “Bluebird” by Miranda Lambert

“Bluebird” started playing on country radio right at the beginning of the pandemic. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. There was so much uncertainty–and there still is–in our lives, and this song really brought me some peace of mind. It’s a great reminder to stay grounded.

3. “Cinderella” by The Cheetah Girls

This song is a bit of a throwback. If you’ve never heard it before, go listen to it ASAP. The Cheetah Girls really gave me the inspiration to be a strong, independent woman who can fend for herself when faced with a challenge.

4. “Do This Thing” from “Mean Girls

“Do This Thing” from the musical adaptation of the hit film “Mean Girls” has really been getting me through my schoolwork recently. It’s the point in the story where Cady and the other mathletes go to the state championship and they are trying to get hyped up to win. I’d highly recommend you put this song on when you’re in need of a boost before writing your next paper.

5. “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” by Elton John and Taron Egerton

It’s easy to fall into bad thoughts during this time of isolation, so this song from “Rocketman” reminds us to check in on ourselves and make sure we’re treating ourselves with kindness. And, it won an Academy Award, so you’ve got to love it.

6. “I’m Still Standing” by Elton John

Not to have two Elton John songs in a row, but I adore this man and his music. “I’m Still Standing” is such a powerful song (especially the way it builds up on the “Rocketman” soundtrack). Whenever you need a reminder about how strong and resilient you are, give this song a listen.

Related Article: 7 Underrated Soundtracks Everyone Needs To Hear

7. “If You’re Going Through Hell” by Rodney Atkins

I think about the chorus of this song on a daily basis. Sometimes it’s what keeps me going when things start to get rough. Anybody who is a fan of country music knows how empowering this song can be.

8. “My Shot” from “Hamilton

This list wouldn’t be complete without “My Shot.” It’s the epitome of motivation for me. Like, if Hamilton, an orphaned immigrant, can make such a huge difference in this country, then I think we all can get through whatever struggles and challenges we’re facing right now.

9. “Starting Over” by Chris Stapleton

There is just something so comforting about Chris Stapleton’s newest single. The vocals mixed with the storytelling on top of the soft melody all work together to create such a nice vibe. As somebody who despises change, this song has helped to shift my viewpoint a little and has gotten me thinking that maybe change isn’t the worst thing in the world.

10. “Try” by Colbie Caillat

Let’s admit it: we’re all hard on ourselves sometimes. Colbie Caillat’s song “Try” is perfect when we need the reassurance that we are good enough and don’t need somebody else’s approval to feel happy with ourselves.

11. “Wait For It” from “Hamilton”

“Wait For It” is certainly one of my favorite songs off of the “Hamilton” soundtrack. Recently, I’ve really been able to find solace in its lyrics. Everything has been so out of control within the last year and it is important to remember that the only thing in life we can control is ourselves.

Related Article: My Definitive Ranking of the “Hamilton” Songs

I hope some of these songs will help you find the strength to push on through. We’ve got this, collegiettes!

Nickie Johnson

George Mason University '22

Nickie Johnson is a senior at George Mason. She is majoring in history and hopes to one day become a school librarian. This is her third year writing for Her Campus, and she has loved every minute of it! She is involved in GMU's Honors College and the George Mason Chapter of Educators Rising Collegiate. In addition to writing, Nickie loves watching movies and reality television, performing showtunes in the mirror, and reading.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com