This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you’ve still got “Hamilton” on the brain. In July, the record-breaking musical was released onto Disney+ featuring the original cast, allowing fans to experience the show for the first time. Prior to its release, I had never listened to the “Hamilton” soundtrack. I avoided it because I was afraid it’d been overhyped. Let me tell you, I couldn’t have been more wrong!

After listening to the soundtrack an embarrassing amount of times, I figured I was finally ready to rank all 46 songs. It’s totally cool if you disagree with me–and I’m sure you will. Also, here is your official spoiler alert!

46. “Schuyler Defeated”

It’s short and really serves more as an explanation of the politics. Nothing too special.

45. “A Winter’s Ball”

Like “Schuyler Defeated,” this song’s length lets it fade into the background. It also doesn’t help that it is sandwiched between two more important songs.

44. “Meet Me Inside”

In the words of my mother, “Hamilton sounds like a whiny brat in this song.” Sorry, Lin.

43. “Farmer Refuted”

The competing words of Samuel Seabury and Hamilton in “Farmer Refuted” is unique and funny, but it’s a bit too chaotic for my taste at times.

42. “The Story of Tonight (Reprise)”

It’ll always make me laugh when Lafayette calls Aaron Burr “the worst” because, duh. This one just is beaten out by some better songs on the soundtrack.

41. “The Adams Administration”

When studying John Adams’ presidency in school, I thought it was a mess. Therefore, I’m happy this song reflects my exact thoughts.

40. “Blow Us All Away”

I do like this song, but it makes me angry. You root for Philip starting in “Take a Break” and then “Blow Us All Away” happens. The wordplay with the title here is pretty trippy too.

39. “Best of Wives, Best of Women”

This is the shortest song in the show, but it’s so tragic knowing what comes right after. At least Hamilton acknowledges that Eliza is the best wife. 

38. “Hurricane”

At first, I was not a fan of “Hurricane.” However, upon listening to it many times, I started to get it. It’s like the eye of the hurricane itself because the songs before and after it are so destructive to Hamilton’s life.

37. “That Would Be Enough”

Honestly, I’m surprised at where this song ended up being because I would’ve guessed it’d be in my top 20. It’s so sweet and gives the audience more insight into Hamilton and Eliza’s relationship.

36. “We Know”

Who doesn’t love when Daveed Diggs, Leslie Odom Jr. and Okieriete Onaodowan intimidate Lin-Manuel Miranda? 

35. “What Comes Next?”

All three of King George’s songs are fantastic; this one just stands out the least to me.

34. “Take a Break”

Philip Hamilton is nine years old and “Macbeth” is mentioned in a theater. That’s all.

33. “Aaron Burr, Sir”

The banter between Burr and Hamilton helps to establish their characters very quickly along with the introductions of Laurens, Lafayette, and Mulligan.

32. “The Story of Tonight”

I had chills the first time hearing the line “tomorrow there’ll be more of us” because those six words are just so powerful.

31. “History Has Its Eyes On You”

This title alone is one of the most important things to come out of this show. It truly encapsulates how important everyone’s actions are.

30. “The Reynolds Pamphlet”

It’s fun getting to see such important historical figures acting like teenagers over the hot gossip published in The Reynolds Pamphlet. I’m sure Jefferson’s reaction is historically accurate.

29. “Your Obedient Servant”

Burr’s piece at the beginning of this song in conjunction with his upbeat tone when signing his letters is striking. 

28. “Cabinet Battle #2”

Reimagining congressional hearings as rap battles was a genius idea on Miranda’s part. I just didn’t find myself nearly as engaged with this one.

27. “Helpless”

Seeing Eliza in love for the first time is so pure. Also, contrasting this idea of Eliza being helpless with her character arc is really something. 

26. “The Election of 1800”

The preceding song is such a downer, so it’s nice to have something a little upbeat as Burr’s political career is destroyed.

25. “Stay Alive (Reprise)”

If this song doesn’t make you want to cry, what does that say?

24. “Stay Alive”

Charles Lee’s reaction to becoming a general, Washington and Lee disagreeing about military tactics, and Washington saying to Lee what we were all thinking. Enough said.

23. “Non-Stop”

This song is track 23 on the album, so it’s fitting that it falls right in the middle of my ranking. “Non-Stop” is the perfect song to close out Act I as we hear pieces from some of the hit songs as the U.S. adjusts to being a free nation. 

22. “I Know Him”

Yes, I have worn a red blanket around my shoulders like a cape while singing to nobody. Haven’t you?

21. “Ten Duel Commandments”

The beat and the rhythm of this song alone is why it’s ranked so high. 

20. “Right Hand Man”

There was really no better way to introduce George Washington than “Right Hand Man”.

19. “One Last Time”

Chris Jackson deserves all the Tonys. As a history major, I love that Miranda was able to work in quotes from Washington’s real farewell address.

18. “It’s Quiet Uptown”

Renée Elise Goldsberry’s voice is hauntingly beautiful as she opens this number. I could never imagine going through what the Hamiltons do, so my heart goes out to them here.

17. “Dear Theodosia”

It’s beautiful hearing two fathers gush about how much they adore their newborn children.

16. “My Shot”

Please don’t be mad at me for this one. I really do love “My Shot” because it’s such an anthem. I just love some other songs a bit more. 

15. “Guns and Ships”

Diggs and Jackson are some of my favorite vocalists in “Hamilton”, so the mix of their voices is pleasing to my ear. Plus, nobody else can rap as insanely fast as clear as Daveed.

14. “What’d I Miss?”

Now, I may not like Thomas Jefferson the person very much, but I certainly loved his entrance. His presence is so over-the-top yet also very necessary. 

13. “The World Was Wide Enough”

Heartbreaking. That’s all I’ve got to say.

12. “Cabinet Battle #1”

“Cabinet Battle #1” was the first song I learned the words to after watching the show. Jefferson and Hamilton’s views are super clear and it’s everything.

11. “The Room Where It Happens”

I know everybody loves this song, and I do too. This is where we see Burr start his downward spiral. The blending of jazz with rap is masterfully done. Plus, Leslie Odom Jr. really shines. Are you seeing a trend here with Burr, yet?

10. “Say No to This”

When Jasmine Cephas Jones hits that one note, I will always give her a standing ovation. This is such a great song to belt out when you’re alone.

9. “Burn”

I hate to see Eliza upset, but wow is eloquent when she is! She remains so poised even as her life is crumbling. It serves as a great reminder of how to act when we want someone to burn.

8. “You’ll Be Back”

Jonathan Groff sauntered onto that stage with this number and almost stole the show for me. I know my dad will be very pleased with its placement.

7. “The Schuyler Sisters”

What an entrance! The Schuyler sisters strut onto the stage with this awesome number. Angelica shows us how to be a strong woman, Eliza reminds us to understand that we’re lucky to even be alive, and who doesn’t love And Peggy?

6. “Wait For It”

I say that you’re either a “My Shot” or a “Wait For It” kind of person, and I definitely empathize with Burr on this one. Burr’s a character people might have a hard time relating to, but this song helps us get into his head.

5. “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)”

Again as a history major, I adore this song. Seeing the Battle of Yorktown as a musical number is so great. Plus, “Immigrants, we get the job done.”

4. “Washington on Your Side”

It’s hard to put into words how much I love this song. But can you tell that I love Daveed Diggs?

3. “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story”

This song will never not give me chills. Eliza’s part breaks my heart. Knowing she was able to accomplish so much in her life after facing tremendous loss is so inspiring to all women. Plus, I felt tears, so it’s gotta be in my top three for sure. 

2. “Satisfied”

“Satisfied” was the first song off the soundtrack I ever heard, so I might be a little biased. Goldsberry’s ability to rap and hit challenging notes simultaneously really cements her as one of Broadway’s finest. 

1. “Alexander Hamilton”

What’s a more fitting song to end on than the one that begins the show? “Alexander Hamilton” is the best opening song I’ve ever heard in a Broadway musical. Immediately, you feel sympathy for Hamilton because of all the tragedy he’s faced thus far. All the actors are on stage introducing us to the man we’re about to feel every single emotion for. Nothing can top this one.

There you have it, collegiettes! Now it’s time to give “Hamilton” another watch!

Nickie Johnson

George Mason University '22

Nickie Johnson is a senior at George Mason. She is majoring in history and hopes to one day become a school librarian. This is her third year writing for Her Campus, and she has loved every minute of it! She is involved in GMU's Honors College and the George Mason Chapter of Educators Rising Collegiate. In addition to writing, Nickie loves watching movies and reality television, performing showtunes in the mirror, and reading.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com