This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

Lately, there’s been internet memes surrounding the topic of “depression meals.”  Essentially, depression meals are easy to eat foods for when you have no appetite, energy or desire to eat.  Depression meals are a very real phenomenon but they aren’t usually healthy and definitely not recommended. As always if you’re struggling with mental health you should seek help as soon as possible. Disordered eating is a serious issue, but knowing that you’re not alone can be cathartic. With that being said, what are Her Campus Geneseo’s correspondents go-to depression meals?

Victoria Cooke

My go-to depression meal is always just spoonfuls of peanut butter and black tea. Peanut butter is relatively filling, sort of healthy and very easy to eat. And I need the black tea or else I get a headache due to caffeine withdrawal. It’s the bare minimum, baby! Other favorites are cinnamon toast with cream cheese, microwavable apple cinnamon oatmeal and pasta with vodka sauce.

Jessica Bansbach

As with almost everything else in my life, I go through hyperfixations with food. I will eat the same thing for dinner five nights of the week for a month until I become so sick of it that the mere thought of it rises discomfort in my stomach. I still miss the concept of vegan grilled cheeses.

Past that, my staples are no different from that of a five-year-old child’s. Dinosaur chicken nuggets, those smiley-face fried potatoes and frozen pizza (California Pizza Kitchen BBQ if I’m feeling myself) for days.

Kayla Glennon

Usually, if there’s nothing that I feel like eating, I’ll go for something that I don’t have to chew like apple sauce, a smoothie or ice cream. But sometimes if I don’t have the energy for even that, I’ll convince myself I’m somehow superhuman and can survive without food for the rest of the day.

Hannah Fahy

I don’t think I have a specific depression meal, but I do notice that I will only eat what’s easy and takes no work if I’m upset. I relate to the concept of depression meals, but I have no one depression meal.

Rebecca Hagan

My go-to back during my freshman and sophomore year when anxiety would make me lose pretty much my entire appetite was spoonfuls of peanut butter. Sometimes spoonfuls of peanut butter on pieces of a chocolate. French fries and mozzarella sticks also worked well because of their wonderful salty fried goodness. Also strawberry milkshakes, even though I prefer chocolate, because chocolate at night when my stomach and appetite was weird was not always the best idea. Also it’s a pretty pink color that would bring me a bit of joy.

Megan Kelly

It depends on what type of depression I’m feeling. If it’s more of an anxiety depression, I can’t eat anything for the whole day, and if I do it it’s something small like a granola bar. If I’m more depressed depressed, I’ll end up eating like a bag of chips or a lot of sweets. I always get a stomach ache after doing this, and you’d think my brain would realize this, but it hasn’t so far.

Nicole Callahan

Did you know that if you order the biggest bag of popcorn at a movie theater you can get a refill? So at the end of the movie, you can ask for a refill and spend the next week eating increasingly stale popcorn. Low effort and high levels of salt and butter. Just an idea.

Hopefully you never need to revert to any of these meals!

Follow Her Campus @ Geneseo on FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Pinterest

Victoria Cooke is a Senior History and Adolescence Education major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. Apart from being an editor and the founder of Her Campus at Geneseo, she is also the co-president of Voices for Planned Parenthood and a Curator for TEDxSUNYGeneseo. Her passions include feminism, reading, advocating for social justice, and crafting. In the future, she hopes to inspire the next generation of history nerds and activists.
Jessica Bansbach is a junior psychology major who has more campus club memberships than fingers and toes. In her spare time, if she's forgotten that she's a college student that has more pressing matters to attend to (like, say, studying), she enjoys video games, thrift shopping, and ruminating. She was elected "funniest in group" by her summer camp counselor when she was nine and has since spent the next eleven years trying to live up to the impossible weight of that title.
Kayla Glennon

Geneseo '21

Kayla is a junior English major who is optimistic but enjoys exploring lots of emotions, not just ignoring the "bad" ones. They love writing silly things but also being serious, because there are a lot of things that matter and need to be talked about, but giving yourself a break is important too. They love writing about literature but also coming up with ideas for stories of their own. Kayla is constantly just trying to be themself and trying to be around people that make them happy.
Hannah Fahy

Geneseo '20

Hannah Fahy is a junior English secondary education major at SUNY Geneseo. She is very involved on campus as the secretary of Circus Club and a general member of Musical Theater Club. She is also the social media coordinator of the Geneseo Her Campus chapter! She is an aspiring unicyclist who enjoys reading, donating blood, and knitting. She is always learning a new skill because she believes that you should never stop learning.
Megan Kelly is a psychology major at SUNY Geneseo. She enjoys writing articles about whatever interests her at the moment, so don't expect any consistency.