Wellness

It’s Time To Overcome My Gym Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Geneseo chapter.

I don’t think I’m alone in this but sometimes I hate going to the gym because I really don’t like when people look at me. While I think it’s time to overcome my gym anxiety, I know it’s not a thing that is going to happen overnight. I know the tools I have to overcome my gym anxiety, but I still find myself struggling when I walk into the gym. But that’s okay! So let’s break this down into two parts: why I have gym anxiety and the ways that I try to overcome it.

I find that a lot of girls I talk to, even just on the Geneseo campus, have purposefully avoided the gym for this exact reason. The main reason I feel self-conscious at the gym is due to the other people around me. I feel like if I’m not performing to the ability of those around me they’re judging me! Obviously, this isn’t usually the case and I’m not accusing gym-goers of automatically doing this, but it happens! Gyms haven’t exactly been notoriously wonderful places for women and women-aligning people. 

I also feel self-conscious because of how I look. I feel like no matter what I’m doing, I always look ridiculous while I’m working out. However it’s important to keep in mind that sure, while you may look ridiculous, everyone else around you is also working out, so doesn’t that mean they also look ridiculous? Theoretically, everyone is on the same playing field at the gym, we all look equally funny.

It’s taken me a while but I have developed some strategies to keep myself occupied and try to reduce my nerves while I’m working out. 

The first step that is absolutely necessary is music. Headphones and loud music. Usually, when I’m doing cardio on the elliptical I pick really upbeat music to motivate me to run. My current workout playlist is the entire Tick, Tick… Boom! movie soundtrack and then “The Man” by Taylor Swift and “Rude Boy” by Rhianna⁠—in this exact order. It’s so easy to tune out and let my surroundings disappear when I have music blasting into my ears. 

The second step that I’ve taken to help is having a gym buddy! The gym is so much more fun when I have my friends working out alongside me. Even then I still have music playing, but it’s such a comfort to know that my friends are right across the room if I need them. 

The third and final step I’ve taken to make myself more comfortable is to have a plan before I even walk in the door. I know absolutely nothing about working out so luckily my partner helps me figure out what type of workout I should do that day. Regardless, if I go into the gym with an expectation of what I’m going to do I don’t feel as lost when I first walk in. 

It’s time to overcome my gym anxiety, but I don’t know if I have yet. As I said above, that’s okay. Going to the gym can be a nerve-wracking experience but I’m here to tell you that you’re not alone! I know many people who are in the same boat as us, so just know that there are more of us out there simply trying to work out in peace.

Emma Belica

Geneseo '24

Emma Belica is a sophomore at Geneseo, she's majoring in both Biology and Sustainability Studies. She loves reading, writing, yoga, and the outdoors. She is also very excited to be here :)