stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Why it’s Beneficial to Go to Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

There tends to be a stereotype around going to therapy, doesn’t there? A lot of people think that you have to be a crazy person to go to therapy; or if someone does go to therapy there isn’t usually a lot of conversation about it. The common stereotypes around therapy are usually negative in the sense that the individual “needs” to have something wrong. Today, we are debunking those stereotypes, and we will be talking about all of the positives of therapy and why people should not be scared to go. I would also like to make a PSA: I am not a medical professional in any way and I am not stating that if you struggle with anything that you should go to therapy. I am speaking from personal experience in that therapy has helped me greatly with some of these issues, and it might be able to help you too! The first thing I would like to yell from the rooftops: you don’t need to have a mental illness to go to therapy. A lot of people think if you go to therapy then there’s something wrong with you, or you must have some sort of mental illness. Of course, if you have a mental illness and you are seeking help, that is wonderful! However, people often think that therapy is only designed for people who are mentally ill. Therapy was designed for anyone and everyone. Family therapy, relationship therapy, marriage therapy and solo therapy are just a few examples that therapy can be used in many different ways. While there are many different reasons to go to therapy, it can be extremely beneficial in many ways. The first reason is that a therapist is able to give you perspective. Talking to a friend or family member can be really healing, but talking to a licensed therapist can give you a whole new perspective. Having someone that is outside of your circle of friends and peers can give you a broader lens on dealing with certain issues. The second reason is that the therapist is there to help you. They ultimately want you to feel happy and healthy; they are there for you! Lastly, going to therapy can be healing. Whether you have a mental illness or you are going in for something that you are struggling with temporarily, it is always healing to get things out in the open. A lot of peace and reconciliation within yourself can happen in this process.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/804666658405306955/ 

The hardest thing about going to therapy is going. Getting yourself there can be really hard and for some people it can even take years. After that first step, you can take the next one and the next one. There can be many struggles within the therapy process like bringing up past traumas and learning about your coping mechanisms. All things that can be hard to talk about at first, but know that the therapist absolutely has the best intent for you. That is why they are there! Working through all of the hard things is really tough, but know that there is light at the end of the tunnel for you! Healing and working through it is part of that process. Some people experience things like circumstantial anxiety, any type of harassment or abuse, seasonal or temporary depression, trouble sleeping, isolation and so many other problems that we face are examples of excellent reasons to talk to a therapist. Like I previously stated, I am not in any way a medical professional, but I know from personal experience that therapy has helped me with some of these issues. My hope is to encourage you that you are not alone in whatever you are going through. You can talk to someone if you need to and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! There is hope for you! It is always a process and these things take time. Go when you feel like it’s time, and when you feel ready for that step. There is no problem too small or too big for a professional to help you. You can do this! You are worthy of all of the healing and love. National Suicide Hotline Prevention 1-800-273-8255 National Hopeline Network 1-800-784-2433 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration 1-800-662-4357 National Human Trafficking Hotline 1-888-373-7888 or text” BeFree” to 233733

Hannah Clift

Arizona '20

Hi my name is Hannah! I am from Sacramento, California, and currently attend GCU to study Communications with a minor in Professional Writing. In my free time, I love to be with my dog JoJo, play guitar, read, and bake. I love to write about motivational and self-wellness topics! I am a senior this year and look forward to graduating and moving back to California!
A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.