kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Self-Care Saturday Everyday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Let’s face it, the college lifestyle is not exactly set up to create good self-care habits. It is easy to fall into the routine of skipping breakfast for just a few extra minutes of sleep, waiting until Sunday night to finish that essay, or staying up way too late drinking GCBC and hanging out with friends. Granted, there is a time and a place where those moments are worth it. Sometimes that extra friend time is worth the painful morning alarm or stressful Sunday. The problem is that it is easy to create a college experience where we fall into these habits weekly. They stop being the occasional crutch for when it is “worth it” and instead turn into our daily lives. It is challenging in college to form healthy self-care habits, so here are a few tips to help you take care of yourself everyday, not just on a Self-Care Saturday. 

1) Eat 3 Meals a Day

This one sounds self-explanatory, but with a busy schedule it is easy to forget a meal. Skipping a meal is especially likely if you live in a dorm and have to wake up early and buy breakfast before class. Instead, buy food from the grocery store that is easy and on-the-go. Things such as overnight oats and an apple and peanut butter or granola bar are perfect to grab for your walk to class in the morning. 

2) Prioritize Your Time

In college, it is easy to stretch yourself thin trying to do everything. There seems to always be something calling for your attention whether it’s hanging out with friends or going to a school event. It is important to spend your time doing fun activities, but you have to value your personal time too. Schedule time in your week to spend time relaxing. A good way to do this is with a planner. Writing something down allows you to better remember to do it, and you get the satisfaction of crossing it off your list. Give yourself a free morning or afternoon and take yourself out to coffee or take a nap! Prioritize spending time with yourself without worrying about homework or what comes next. On the contrary, if you are introverted, challenge yourself to spend time with people. Make sure at least once a week you go out with friends or to a school event. Allowing yourself to recharge makes you able to show up as your best self when you are doing your homework or spending time with people. 

https://www.dermstore.com/blog/top_ten/why-is-self-care-important/

3) Move Your Body!

Working out in college often seems like an overwhelming undertaking but it does not have to be. You do not need to be pumping iron 24/7 to get some endorphins flowing. Start by taking a 30-minute walk at sunset or playing basketball with friends. This makes for an easy way to move your body that is fun and does not feel like the dread of a workout. If you want to go to the gym but you do not know what to do, go to a gym class on campus. GCU offers zumba, yoga, spin, and many more classes all for free. This is a perfect way to schedule out time and know you are going to get a good workout. Scheduling time to workout allows you to focus just on you for however long the workout is. 

Practicing daily self-care allows you to fully enjoy what college has to offer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/body/stay-sane-working-mum-self-care-manual-busy-women/

4.) Look Forward to Something

Having something to look forward to each week is motivating. It can be as small as going to your favorite ice cream store on Friday or going on a camping trip you have planned. Plan exciting things for yourself to keep daily life exciting. This keeps you from getting lost in your weekly routine. Setting yourself up to be excited about waking up every morning is an important part of self-care. 

As fun as the occasional self-care Saturday filled with face masks and quality Netflix-watching can be, it is important to care for yourself everyday. College is filled with exciting experiences that you do not want to miss out on. Practicing daily self-care boosts your well-being and allows you to fully enjoy what college has to offer.

Tatum is currently a Sophomore at GCU studying Graphic Design and Advertising. As a native to Arizona she loves being a part of the Phoenix community. She is passionate about writing, design, friendship, and a really good cup of coffee.
A sophomore Communications major at GCU who is passionate about Jesus, writing, watching Netflix, and taking long walks to the campus Chick-Fil-A.