This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Even though finals are over, it does not mean that our stress magically disappears. The holidays should be a time to relax and spend time with loved ones, but it often turns out to be really stressful. Here are a few ways to limit stress and enjoy the holidays.

• Limit Commitments

If you limit the commitments you make, you will not be as busy and get so easily overwhelmed by all of the people you have planned to meet up with and all the errands you have to run. If you limit your commitments and only make the plans to meet up with the people that you really want to see or, attend the parties that you really want to go to, you will relieve a lot of stress.

• Prioritize traditions

Make sure to schedule in the time to do the holiday traditions that you look forward to all year. If you do not plan time to do the traditions with the people you love, then they might get put off and may not even get done.

• Take care of yourself

It is very important to take care of yourself, especially when you are stressed. It is common to forget about taking care of yourself when you are stressed and prioritizing all of the chores that have to get done for the holidays and before you know it, you have forgotten to eat all day. Leave time for yourself and if it is hard to find time to do so, schedule it in. Make sleep a priority and do not skip meals. As stressed as you may be, skipping meals or staying awake for countless hours can make your stress worse.

• Set a budget

Christmas shopping can empty your wallet completely, and as college students this is something we do not need, as we are already broke. If you set a budget on how much money you can afford to spend, and divide it by the number of people you have to buy gifts for, you can spend a set amount on each person. This way everyone gets a fair amount spent on gifts, and this will make life much easier

• Be present

It is really easy to get caught up in the chaos that the holidays hold. It is easy to get stressed out about all the events you have to attend and all the gifts that have to be purchased. However, you can make your life much easier and reduce a lot of stress by simply living in the moment. If you find yourself getting stressed out about things that are going on in the future, take a few deep breaths, notice your surroundings, and try to be more present in the moment. There are so many great memories that can take place during the holidays and you would regret missing out on them by worrying about other things.

• Keep regular routine

It is easier to function if there is routine in our daily lives and that can easily get thrown off during the holidays. Simply eating meals at the same time each day and going to bed at the same time every night is not only healthy but will also help to reduce stress.

• Don’t be afraid to ask for help

There are so many things that need to get done during the holidays, such as shopping, gift wrapping, cooking and cleaning. It is ok to ask for help every now and then. Everyone gets so busy that they do not think to ask if others need help, so sometimes you have to ask for it yourself. Even asking for help wrapping a gift or taking cookies out of the oven can relieve a lot of stress.

The holidays can be full of stress, but also full of so many great memories. Remember to live in the moment and appreciate the time that you get to spend with your loved ones before you have to go back to school because Christmas break does not last very long.

Images

I am a Junior and an English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing major with a minor in Business at Grand Canyon University. I write to inspire and spread positivity to others. I love spending my time in coffee shops, writing and drinking coffee. Im just a simple girl trying to figure out life, give my best advice and share my experiences along the way.