Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Wellness

How Practicing Meditation Helps You Cope During the COVID-19 Outbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

The days of being quarantined are numbered and many are seeking helpful habits that will ease their mental and emotional stress regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. It is important to have healthy habits as many continue to acclimate themselves when staying home so that they avoid getting themselves, and others sick from the coronavirus. 

To maintain good health, one must eat healthy, exercise regularly, and incorporate mental activities to keep the brain strong and alert. Meditation is one helpful habit people can use to reduce their anxiety and stress during this overwhelming season in everyone’s lives. It is used as a psychotherapeutic technique to heighten and encourage focused attention, and self-awareness.  Concentrative and mindfulness meditation are effective and have a positive impact to maintain good health.

Concentrative meditation is focusing on a specific object to diminish outside noise and distractions while focusing on your breathing, mantra, or a specific word. The goal of concentrative meditation is to regain focus when your mind wanders. Essentially, it builds the discipline to fully concentrate. 

Mindfulness meditation targets different issues such as anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder. It focuses on being involved and self-aware in the present as well as being more accepting, and open to healing and letting go. According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, they report that “a 2014 literature review of 47 trials in 3,515 participants suggests that mindfulness meditation programs show moderate evidence of improving anxiety and depression.” Concentration and mindfulness differ by how much someone is expanding their awareness.

The health-related, emotional, and mental benefits of meditation include:

• Better Concentration

• Improved Emotional Wellness

• Improves Sleep

• Help Fight Addictions

• Alleviates Anxiety

• Better Manages Stress

Another great benefit that meditation offers is that anyone can participate in it anywhere. If you are new to trying meditation, iPhone and Android apps have many meditation apps to choose from. For example, some popular meditation apps on the market are Calm, Headspace, and Abide. These apps are free to download with some in-app purchases included. 

The outbreak of the coronavirus is overwhelming where fear, anxiety and uncertainty have replaced the everyday and comfortable routine for many people. As public health officials continue to reinforce social-distancing, it can be difficult for many who are coping with any overnight changes that can disrupt their peace of mind. Taking care of yourself is imperative as the pandemic unfolds. For instance, taking deep breaths and meditating can help realign your body and emotional well-being. Also, unwinding with the help of meditation promotes healthy behaviors that are vital when finding activities to do at home. It is important to stay informed on what the media and the Center for Disease Control are requiring the nation to do to stay healthy. Despite the rapid and emerging changes that are happening daily, it is important to set aside a period of time to mentally rest and recover from the messages that are being reported on any media platform. Set aside time to focus on your mind, body, and spirit and try out activities that you enjoy at home. Practicing self-care during any stressful time will help improve your long-term health. 

Hello! I was born and raised in San Diego, California. I am a junior at Grand Canyon University while majoring in Communications with a double minor in professional writing, and marketing. As a young woman, I am looking forward to making new experiences where I can learn and grow.