Wellness > Mental Health

Fall-themed self-care tips to help you feel and look better this holiday season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Is Seasonal Depression hitting you hard this year? Whether you are sad for a reason, or you are just not feeling like yourself, I recommend trying these self-care options that will help you look and feel better as the weather gets cold. As a bonus, they are fall themed!

JOURNALING

Try writing a gratitude list to highlight the positive things in your life and appreciate what you have. It really does help you feel better! If you use aesthetically pleasing stationary, then it could also help you feel more put together and in control.

11 Life Changing Journaling Tips For Beginners Feature Image

FACE MASKS

Using a face mask is a great way to take care of yourself and unwind from a long day. The Freeman smoothing scrub mask is a great fall-themed pumpkin mud mask; it evens out your skin tone and smells so good! So, grab some tea or your hot drink of choice, put on some Gilmore Girls, and put on a soothing face mask to help you relax.

Freemen Mask

COFFEE

To get into the festive mood, go out and buy yourself a holiday-flavored coffee. Along with that, you could go for a walk with your coffee, which is known to give your mind a sense of calmness (especially with the fall leaves!). As a bonus, Starbucks just released their holiday flavors, so give those a try!

134287833 christmas mug holiday decoration at vessel for hot drinks coffee latte or tea cup vector cartoon ill

FRIENDS

If you are a person who loves to be around people, then go ahead and throw out some comfy blankets and pillows and invite some of your besties over for a Gilmore Girls marathon! (Or any show of your choice.) A friend group that watches Gilmore Girls together, stays together.

holiday photo shoot ideas emmasedition 18 1440x2157 1

BAKING

If you want your house to smell amazing and have some comfort food, try baking something! There are hundreds of amazing recipes available online. Making apple pie can be time-consuming, but it’s very simple and the end result is so worth it. You can even buy pre-made dough at the grocery store if you aren’t the homemade baked goods type.

RETAIL THERAPY

If your love language is gift-giving and you need to de-stress, try some retail therapy! Look online for Christmas presents on websites like Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Etsy. It would be even better if you were to shop at an online small business!

GettyImages 1320765005 490487 cjazbo

SOCIAL MEDIA

If you are a creative person, or if you just like social media, try making some holiday TikTok’s to get you excited for the upcoming holidays. Maybe start a TikTok that you can finish at Christmas, or just follow some current fall trends! Make something unique to you and your interests.

GettyImages 1228783329.jpg

DECORATE

Decorate your house/room for the holidays! If you have a Dollar Tree, Target, or Walmart near you, they usually have plenty of cute and affordable decorations. You could even take your besties out with you! Who doesn’t love a good shopping spree?

interior christmas magic glowing tree fireplace gifts dark night interior christmas magic glowing tree fireplace gifts 163223712

GAMES

Playing games is a fun way to relax and spend some time with yourself. If you need a new game to play, Sims 4 just became free for everyone to play! There are so many holiday-themed things you can do on the Sims 4, like decorating your sim’s house with a holiday theme, designing a sim that is in winter attire, or making a family and hosting Christmas parties! The possibilities are endless.

ts4 xmas box 2015

So, there is no need to sit and be sad this holiday season. This list should give you plenty of inspiration to go out and do what you love, or find something new to love!

Hi Everyone! I'm Billiejean and I attend GCU. Im studying biology with an emphasis in pre-med and I am in my freshman year. Some of my favorite pass times include: Fashion, gaming and writing!