This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Sometimes life gets so stressful and so busy that we do not take time to relax. We do not stick to our New Year’s resolutions, and we often get too invested in other people and other relationships to the point where it becomes toxic. It is a new year so why not make this year your best one yet? Here are some ways to be the best version of yourself in 2018.

•    Positivity is key

Cut out all of the negativity in your life, and try to see the brighter things in it. Less negativity can lead to more happiness. Instead of seeing something in a negative way, think of it as a learning experience, let it go, and move on.

•    Don’t be afraid to say no

Sometimes we have so much on our schedule that it is hard to balance everything. If there is a small event, or maybe a meeting with a friend, don’t be afraid to say no and get things done first. Take time for what you need to do. Focus on being successful in school and work, but make sure you do not skip out of events all the time. Also, be sure to still make time for friends and fun activities, because it is unhealthy to not to get out occasionally.

•    Give to others

Giving to others is a great way to serve your community. There are a lot of people who are less fortunate and could use your support. Simply giving food to the homeless, or working at a food shelter could really make someone’s day a whole lot better. You may have a greater impact on someone’s life than you may think.

•    Stay healthy

Eating healthy and exercise can make you feel good physically and mentally. It is also great for your body. Going to the gym can feel like a drag, but you could really benefit from going at least once a week.

•    Do what you love

Take time to make sure you do the things you love. Find hobbies and set aside time to do them. If you love to do yoga, be sure to go to a yoga class a couple times a week. If you love to write, then write, maybe even start a blog. If you love to paint, then paint. Doing what you love will make you happier and expand your skills.

•    Try new things

Do not be afraid to try new things. If you try something you have never done before you may end up loving it. Trying new things with friends is a great way to make new memories and connect with people.

•    Be thankful for what you have

We can often get too caught up in the negative that we forget to remember the positive things that we have in life. We take so many things for granted and we forget to appreciate how many things we have been blessed with.

•    Make big goals

Sometimes we just make goals that we think are easily achievable and we hesitate to make big goals. Do not be afraid to make big goals, because when you achieve them it will make you feel more confident in your abilities.

•    Don’t fear failure

Everyone has failed at some point in their life. It is inevitable to fail. Failure is a way that we learn. We make mistakes and we learn from them so we know not to repeat them in the future. Grow from failure rather than fearing it.

•    Beauty is not just for looks, it is also on the inside

You do not have to feel like you have to look your absolute best 24/7. We become so focused on the beauty trends that we sometimes feel like we need to look perfect for others to accept us. So much of our true beauty comes from within. If you have good morals and treat others with respect, you are already beautiful. Ignore those that tell you otherwise because, in reality, they are the ones that are insecure and are trying to bring you down with them.

•    Put yourself first sometimes

If you become overly concentrated on helping others through their life struggles and not on leaving time to focus on yourself, it can be pretty exhausting and unhealthy. Leave time to focus on yourself, do what you love, and relax. You deserve a break from the world every now and then.

Image: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rj…

I am a Junior and an English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing major with a minor in Business at Grand Canyon University. I write to inspire and spread positivity to others. I love spending my time in coffee shops, writing and drinking coffee. Im just a simple girl trying to figure out life, give my best advice and share my experiences along the way.