Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

The Art of Taking Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

Here’s something that no one will teach you in college: there is a good form of procrastination. Not every reason for putting off an assignment or task is laced with the intention of being lazy and irresponsible. In fact, taking care of our health physically and mentally can start with learning how to slow down and take much needed breaks. But if you’re any bit like an average college student, then you are well aware that our to-do lists are rarely blank, especially when you can see graduation on the golden Phoenix horizon. So if you have a never ending drive to be two steps ahead because it mellows out your stress, so be it. But just in case, here are a few reminders to help you slow down, procrastinate, and take care.

It’s okay to say “It’s tomorrow’s problem”

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and a place for putting off meaningful tasks. You don’t want to make a habit of blowing off responsibilities, otherwise your future self will hate you. Being overwhelmed is in no way fun. Accepting that you can only go at your own pace is important. Sometimes, closing the laptop is the best thing you can do for your mind and your grade.  So when you feel yourself getting exhausted and you’ve already typed the same sentence twice, close your laptop. Accept your defeat, take a cup of tea (Chamomile or Lemon Balm), and let your mind find rest. You deserve it.

It’s always okay to need help, never okay to compare yourself

The worst thing we can do is compare ourselves to others. It is the death of self confidence. The truth is that there will always be someone more ahead, more skilled, more confused. Staying on our own paths to success can be very difficult, especially when you’re surrounded by peers who, a few years ago, were the same as you: a confused teenager ready to live their best life without a clue on how to do it. This is assurance. There is always room to manifest and grow. Surrounding ourselves with people who want us to succeed on our own rather than compare ourselves to them is a sign that you’ve found a true friend. Friends and family can be some of your best cheerleaders and motivators, but remember we are our own worst enemies. When you’re getting lost in your head with feelings of doubt, facetime a friend or plan a study group. Reassurance and validation are never a sign of weakness.

Take a break. Take two. Take ten.

Breaks are your friends. It is impossible to start any task and finish without feeling a little run down. Breaks are crucial to keeping your head space clear. Every hour, or even thirty minutes, if needed. Close your eyes for five minutes. Make your favorite snack. Play something calming, like India Arie, then go back in with something upbeat to help you focus, like Fall Out Boy. Being in college should be enjoyable, not a competition. Finishing at your own pace is the best way to finish anything.

It is very easy to become overwhelmed with school, jobs, or even life in general. But ignoring problems will only make them worse. Taking care means taking accountability, for your own toxic energy towards yourself and your habits, finding a balance, and forgiving yourself. The bad news is that you can’t help that stress is a part of college. The good news? It’s never too late to start taking care of yourself.

My name is Natalie and I am a Senior at GCU studying English with an Emphasis in Professional Writing and a minor in Literature. My passion is writing contemporary fiction, screenplays, and poetry. I'm a junkie for anything related to art, literature, film, and social justice. In the rare times when I'm not reading or writing, you can find me baking, at a concert, or eating way too many waffles.