This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCSU chapter.

To everyone’s surprise, midterms are coming up. So much for “new year, new me” ‘cause I’m still the same academic disappointment I was last year.  To counteract my rapidly diminishing desire to study, I made a quick list of tips ‘n’ tricks to keep me on track! Hopefully they help you too! 

1. Okay, everyone needs a good playlist to study to. Some real “let’s get down to business” type music. For whatever reason, I’ve found that I enjoy studying with movie soundtracks. I’ve included a link to a playlist that gives you a taste of a few different fantasy movie soundtracks. To me, nothing says “I got this in the bag” like the Pirates’ theme song. 

http://8tracks.com/adurkin123/movie-soundtracks-to-study-to

2. Clean your room. No, seriously. When I feel cluttered and gross it’s impossible for me to be productive. So do a load of laundry, take out the garbage, and maybe light a candle to really get the clean vibes going! While I’m at it, you should also shower! I don’t know why I associate cleanliness with productivity, but if it works it works. 

3. Find your ideal study space and get ready to hibernate there. I like to spread out on my floor with all my books laid out in front of me so that I can see everything. Maybe you prefer the library or sitting at a desk. Accommodate to how you study best. I often try to convince myself that I can study in my bed which then leads to an unplanned nap. You know what works best for you. So carve out some time to study in your spot. 

4. Reward yourself for your hard work. There are some great study snacks that help with productivity. My go-to is chocolate covered almonds. Not to go full nerd on you, but nuts contain high levels of fatty acids and iron that help with focus and retaining information. If nuts aren’t your thing, don’t stress! There are other study snack alternatives. You can check out this article for more snacking ideas! 

http://www.hercampus.com/school/tufts/best-study-snacks-finals

And the last advice I can leave you with is this, which pretty much sums all of my feelings up. 

Lindsey Poe is a Senior English Literature major, Spanish minor here at Georgia College. She loves coffee, Pinterest, peach rings, House M.D., and late night easy mac. In her free time she enjoys taking naps, reading, crafting, and stalking adoptable dogs online. You can follow her on Instagram @linzpoe.