Wellness

Endurance: Life and Health Around COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GA Tech chapter.

Last week, the University System of Georgia mandated that all public Georgia institutions transition to distance-learning as a result of the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. Now, coming off of Spring Break and a transitional buffer week, Tech students are preparing to return to classes that have undergone a complete remodeling that rivals anything HGTV puts out. During these trying times, it’s important that we take a moment to step away from our role as dedicated students and maintain our own physical and mental health.

COVID-19 is an acronym for the name Coronavirus Disease 2019, which is a disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. A virus is labeled as a coronavirus if it is able to infect both animals and humans. COVID-19 is considered a novel coronavirus, meaning that the virus is newly evolved to infect humans. Previously, only six viruses could do that. However, unlike the past SARS pandemic in 2003, which was the last outbreak of a novel coronavirus, COVID-19 has both infected and taken the lives of more people even with a lower mortality rate (Healthline). Much like the flu, COVID-19 is transmitted through close contact and can be prevented by “common-sense precautions”, such as hand washing and avoidance of hand-to-face contact.

According to the CDC, as of March 28, there are 120,204 cases in the US and 1,997 deaths. Every state has a reported case, with the highest amount of reported cases in New York. Currently, Georgia falls into the same 1001-5000 reported case bracket, as do 11 other states including California and Washington. The Georgia Department of Public Health reported that Fulton County has the highest of these cases at 231, as of March 26 at 7:00pm.

These statistics can be overwhelming, if not a bit scary to know, and with the national and global concern about this virus, these stats are constantly everywhere. Reports of infection, contamination, and tragedy seem to be the only things we are seeing lately on the news. Schools, businesses, churches, and parks have shut down to combat the spread of this highly infectious disease. In a way, it feels like every part of our daily lives has shut down too. This drastic change can have harmful effects to our physical and mental health – a problem we definitely don’t need during a pandemic. It is during this time of health consciousness that we need to reflect on the other components of our wellness.

With the move to online instruction, compounded by the closure of many activity spots, we are faced with a new, and starkly sedentary lifestyle. This loss of freedom alone can drive anybody insane, but students are faced with the particular problem of continuing to be mentally engaged in their classes. Izah Tahir, a mechanical engineering student and president of a community service club on campus, gives one piece of advice for staying sane when the world feels like it’s falling apart. “Continue to meet with people,” she says, “Some friends from my math class are doing an online study group tomorrow, and I did an online club social yesterday.” Though things may have to be done a bit differently, continuing to be involved with your regular campus activities can be a great way to keep some normalcy in your life.

Rachel Fisher, a second-year biomedical engineering student, gave her thoughts about keeping emotions stable under these pressing matters. When referring to the shift to online classes, she concedes “it will probably be harder to learn and will definitely be harder to keep focused [but] know the teachers are in the same predicament. I am grateful for all they are doing.” Knowing that you are not the only one stressed and frustrated by extended effects of COVID-19, can be a comforting thing to remind yourself of as the semester continues. We are all doing something we’ve never done before, but we will get through it.

Bailee Jetton

GA Tech '22

Bailee Jetton is currently a 3rd year Literature, Media, & Communication major at Georgia Tech with a major focus in Media and Communications. She developed a passion for writing when she wrote competitively for a school creative writing team before beginning to focus on journalistic writing in her junior year of high school.