This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

It has been a while since I have posted my last article. Lots of things have been going on in my life as I start to conclude my final semester at Furman. As of last week, I have officially committed to the University of South Carolina School of Law, which is a decision that has been weighing on me for a while for many reasons. For starters, it is a decision that has me 720 miles away from family, again. That is not the reason that weighed heaviest. Unfortunately, it was the thought of “What will people think?” regarding my selection of a law school. 

These past few months, like any senior would tell you, have been full of “What are your post-grad plans?” questions from friends, family, and even acquaintances trying to make conversation. My friends and I have discussed this largely because many of us have encountered experiences that have made us feeling poorly about our next step in life. One of my friends recalled that a peer was talking badly about two of the schools she was considering for her graduate school… to her face, knowing that she had been considering those as options. Another friend felt like she was being judged by adults when she said she was taking a gap year to figure things out. Another friend felt like people were judging the type of job she was taking post-graduation. Personally, I have run into a handful of people who talked badly about schools I was considering for law school and even the school I committed to. It is not a good feeling and it really makes already anxious students feel more on edge, wondering if they are making the right choice.

So, I am here to say a few things. 

To the student who has no idea what her next step is going to be, that is okay. Take time to figure out who you are and what you want to do. I personally commend people more for owning up to the uncertainty they are feeling, rather than thrusting themselves into a workforce they are not passionate about. Everyone likes to act like graduate school is the end-all be-all and that is not the case. Going straight into the workplace or taking a year to explore is equally as good because it is what you want to do. Do not let anyone shame you for it. 

To the student who feels judged about her school options, congratulations for getting in. No matter the graduate program, it is an honor to get into a school to continue your education. The mentality need not be “what is the rank of X school?”, rather it should be “what will I do with X education?”. With a strong work ethic and determination, you are going to do just fine in life. Do not let anyone tell you any different. Shamefully, I am guilty of judging graduate schools by ranks and basing opinions of students’ decisions that way. After being a student and going through the process of applying to a graduate school, I wish I could go back and place a more positive note in my mind, rather than looking for something to comment on. 

To the student who is going for a job, feels judged, and has no idea what to expect, embrace the new journey with excitement. That is all you really can do. Yes, be nervous and feel those feelings, but know that you will not be the “new worker” for long and soon enough, you will gain confidence in your chosen field. Similarly to when you began at Furman, with no idea of how to navigate social or academic life, you eventually figured it out. You learned the ropes before, and you will do so again. For anyone who is judging your job, let them do so. In the end, it says more about them and the way their lives are going than how yours is going. 

To my fellow seniors, if I could say anything to try and rid ourselves of the post-grad plan judgment, it would simply be to spend more time celebrating our friends and our own next steps, rather than focusing on the few judgemental comments we may face. We are all about to begin new journeys, move to different states, and start new chapters – do not allow for room in your life for negativity to impact the good that is to come.

Savannah Hobbie is a senior Politics & International Affairs and Communications double major at Furman University. She hopes to attend law school after college. Aside from Her Campus, she is on the executive boards for both Panhellenic Council and the Chi Omega sorority at Furman. She is a mentor for Ladies of Distinction and is an orientation leader. She also has two internships serving as a social media manager. Her passions include self-care, writing about vulnerable topics, beauty, spreading love, and hyping people up!