Style

Gymshark: All of the Chic and Affordable Gym Wear You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Furman chapter.

For some, a big part of going to the gym is looking the part. While any pair of leggings and a raggedy old t-shirt work as gym attire, the clothes you wear can really affect your workout performance. Looking good makes you feel good, and a boost in confidence can really be a game changer in your workouts. Plus, the more you invest in and research gym wear, the more likely it is going to be comfortable, sweat-wicking, and fitting. 

However, most brands are rather expensive for what they’re worth. For example, Lululemon leggings cost anywhere upwards of $90, which is pretty steep if you work out multiple times a week (or if you’re just wearing them casually). 

I started taking a wellness course, which requires me to workout twice a week minimum. I started out by going to my workouts in regular old leggings and an oversized t-shirt, and I slowly watched my confidence at the gym dwindle away. I would wake up right before I was supposed to leave, roll out of bed, and throw on pajama-like clothes to work out in. 

Then I decided enough was enough, and I started looking for affordable gym wear. Gymshark is honestly one of my favorite brands out there for workout clothes, for many reasons. 

One thing that you’ll quickly notice about Gymshark is that every piece is vibrantly colored and usually has a matching top or bottom. I really liked that, as I am one to dress in all black as often as possible. I also am just terrible at matching things together. 

But most importantly, most items from Gymshark don’t cost anything over $55. Leggings or shorts, tops, and sports bras are essential to a woman’s workout outfit, and these items should not break the bank. In a society where we are shamed for not being athletic enough, it’s really ironic that appropriate workout attire is beyond expensive. 

With body image in mind, though, it is important to recognize that Gymshark is hardly at all size-inclusive, as their size range includes only XS to XL. Additionally, the overall shaping of Gymshark’s clothing gives female customers an hourglass-esque shape. The advertisements also show women who are very muscular and have chiseled stomachs, which is not indicative of the typical female body. 

Be sure to keep this in mind, as you are not supposed to necessarily look like the women advertised by Gymshark. Your body is yours, and the only approval your body needs is your own. So, go out and buy some of those amazing Gymshark leggings and sweat it out (or chill out)!

Hailey Wilcox is the Editor-in-Chief and one of the two Campus Correspondents of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior Educational Studies major, and hopes to pursue a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis. Aside from Her Campus, she is President of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity. Her passions include self-care, helping her communities, and makeup!
Mackenzie Smith is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Furman University. She is a senior majoring in Public Health with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Mackenzie has a passion for making sure women feel empowered and important throughout all stages of life which can be seen through her work with Girlology and The Homeless Period Project.