I get it – life without gluten can be difficult. It’s like the whole world is suddenly a giant loaf of bread that you can’t escape from, and at times, you might feel as if you’re getting punished for taking care of your body.  As someone with Celiac Disease, I’ve got almost eight years of experience and am proud to report that I have nearly perfected the art of eating gluten-free, especially at restaurants. What does that mean for you, dear reader? I did the hard work so you don’t have to. With that being said, here are some of my favorite gluten-friendly restaurants in Tallahassee. Happy eating!

1. Sweet Pea Cafe 

As someone who’s got a whole lot going on with her diet woes (gluten, dairy, soy, artificial things – the list goes on) finding a place that accommodates not just one, but all of my restrictions is a blessing – a dream come true. Sweet Pea Cafe prides itself on being 100% vegan in addition to providing gluten-free alternatives to many of their sandwiches and wraps. They also bake a bunch of delicious gluten-free brownies and cookies which vary depending upon the day and time. Their roadside cafe located on West Tharpe is earthy in the rawest and most eclectic form. It’s literally impossible not to smile when you pull up – especially when some gluten-free goodness is awaiting you inside!

My recommendation: the Vegan Quesadilla on a gluten-free brown rice tortilla and a GF brownie if they have them.

2. Lucy and Leo’s Cupcakery 

lucy and leo cupcake
Sophia Upshaw

I – and I cannot stress this enough – have the biggest sweet tooth of any singular human being on this earth. Navigating the dessert industry as a Celiac can be daunting and at times impossible, but fear not! Lucy and Leo’s has you covered. The selection of cupcakes in their storefront (which, by the way, is in the cutest corner of a bookstore) is homemade daily and free of preservatives. They offer a large selection of gluten-free and vegan options, and take my word for it – you’ll love them all. The lovely ladies who work there will even take orders for specific cupcakes if you give them enough heads up! 

My recommendation: the gluten-free Lemon Blue Sky cupcake. (Pictured)

3. Jeri’s Midtown Cafe

I first discovered Jeri’s when my parents came to visit for my first parent’s weekend, and since then, it’s become my favorite Tally brunch spot! Jeri, the owner, and her staff are super accommodating to dietary needs, and they serve some of the most delicious food that I have had the pleasure of eating since coming to Tallahassee. Seriously – gourmet quality, but wallet-friendly. Their menu is filled with little “GF” symbols next to various items, so there is plenty to choose from! They have gluten-free bread alternatives for sandwiches, and they introduced me to the wonder that is apple butter. Need I say more?

My recommendation: The “TAB” Pressed Sandwich on gluten-free bread with a side of the Grits & Apple butter.

4. Canopy Road Cafe  

If you’re a ‘Nole or a Tallahassee local, chances are you’ve most definitely been to or heard of Canopy Road Cafe. With three locations in town, there is almost always still a big ole’ wait to snag a table – and for good reason. Their food is amazing, and if you’re gluten-free, I’m happy to inform you that you can get in on this breakfast goodness too! Canopy Road offers gluten-free pancakes, french toast and the usual omelet/egg creations. 

My recommendation: The Avocado Toast on gluten-free bread. (SO. GOOD.)

5. The Bark

bahn mi tacos from bark
Sophia Upshaw

Shoutout to my brother for introducing me to Bark. The Bark is super accommodating to people with dietary restrictions, whether or not it’s a lifestyle choice or a health condition. They typically are able to turn many of their sandwiches or salads into a gluten-free taco or wrap, and pretty much all of their sides are gluten-free, aside from the obvious, of course. Not to mention their atmosphere is so chill and perfect for those a part of the artsy scene. They even host local bands and poetry readings – check them out!

My recommendation: Tofu Bahn Mi on a gluten-free taco shell. (Pictured)

6. Gaines Street Pies

Listen, I’ll admit that I’m not the biggest pizza fan, but there are some late nights where I just really want to chow down on some delicious cheesy slices of heaven with my girl gang – and no, I don’t think that’s too much to ask. Open until one a.m. most nights, Gaines Street Pies can and will make you a bomb gluten-free pizza, customizable to your heart’s content. 

My recommendation: GF Cheese Pizza because I’m basic.

7. Black Dog at Lake Ella

Black Dog at Lake Ella is my literal happy place. It’s the perfect place to grab a cup of coffee and finally find the motivation to check off those assignments on your to-do list, and the deal only gets sweeter when it involves any of their gluten-free and/or vegan baked goods!  Gluten-free Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, PB&J Bars – the list goes on. With clear winter skies, crisp air and gluten-free options galore, I highly recommend you check out this lovely cafe on your next break between classes!

My recommendation: Gluten-free & vegan PB&J Bars.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Sophia is a Sophomore at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Media Communication Studies and a minor in Spanish. Her passions include practicing yoga, baking, listening to Florence + the Machine, and growing her vinyl collection. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can most likely find Sophia at any coffee shop within a five-mile radius of her home. That or in bed watching Gilmore Girls.
Her Campus at Florida State University.