If you are sensitive to topics regarding mental illnesses, this might not be the article for you. If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health: you are not alone. Here are some resources and information on getting support.

What is Mental Health Day?

Oct. 10 has been known as Mental Health Day since 1992, but what is it? Mental Health Day was a program started by Richard Hunter of the World Federation for Mental Health to raise awareness for mental illnesses and remove the stigmas around them. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), depression is one of the leading causes of disability with suicide being the fourth leading cause of death among 15-29-year-olds. Mental health, just like physical health should be protected, that is why so many international mechanisms such as the United Nations General Assembly, Rights of Persons with Disabilities and many others have designated services and programs in regard to the topic One of the latest was in 2015 when Sustainable Development Goals was adopted, UN members recognized mental health as “a global public good and a right that countries have an obligation to protect.”

Mental Health Day themes

For the first two years following the formation of Mental Health Day, the day did not have a theme and was simply used to advocate for mental health awareness. However, every year since 1994, a specific theme has been followed, the first being “ Improving the quality of Mental Health Services throughout the world,” with its latest being “Make mental health and well-being for all a global priority.” This advocates for specific action within issues concerning mental health. In 1996, the theme was “Women and Mental Health” which highlighted mental health in regard to women, how it affects them and the stigmas around it.

The significance:

Every year, thousands of people celebrate and promote mental health awareness. Many take to different platforms and share their stories, share the stories of those who they held near that have fallen victim to mental illness. Health, in all its categories, is one of the most important things a being needs to lead a “good life.” One may not always be able to see that someone is struggling with a mental illness, but that does not mean it does not exist. Remember that not all suffering looks the same. Bringing awareness to an issue makes it easier to talk about, removes stigmas and helps it become more normalized. That is the significance of it; there is a lot of darkness in this world, but by talking about it and shining even the smallest bit of light it begins to break down. This helps people who are suffering in silence feel more okay when having these conversations, it helps them reach out for help.

How can I make a difference?

The easiest way is to raise awareness on the topic, not only today but every day. Technology has become such a main part of our lives; you can post the link to an article talking about mental health and you can share an infographic. Speak about mental health as seriously as one speaks about physical health. Keep yourself educated; this helps educate others.

Take care of yourself

Talk to someone you trust or journal your feelings. Know that your worst thoughts do not define you. Do things for yourself, do something that makes you happy, reconnect with people who bring you joy, go for a walk and most importantly, ask for help. Asking for help is a sign of strength, above are resources that could help.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest! 

Dulce Ordonez is an English Creative Writing major at FSU, pursuing a double minor in Political Science and History. Currently she is an editor for Her Campus and a staff writer for FSView. She loves reading, writing, listening to music, and creating art. You can find more on her Instagram @d._.ordonez