“I’m treatin’ me right,” Mac Miller couldn’t have said it any better in his single, Self Care. For those of you who don’t know what self-care means, it’s all about taking time for yourself for the benefit of your mental, physical and emotional health. It’s not about being selfish. It’s necessary.

As college students, we are under a lot of pressure and stress. Sometimes we get so caught up in our studies that we wonder how we’re going to make it through the week and sometimes the day. We often overthink if we should spend the last few dollars that we have in our wallet on a coffee. We forget to make ourselves a priority.

Here is a reminder to my fellow collegiettes: BREATHE. Whatever stress or hardships you’re going through in life, take a moment for yourself and acknowledge that you’re in need of self-care. Your happiness and state of mind matters.

The great thing about self-care is that it comes in many forms, and it’s essentially doing or practicing whatever makes YOU happy. Whether that’s cutting yourself off from your friends and social media for a day or winding down and taking a bubble bath, “treat yourself right.”

Here are some ways that you can practice self-care:

Take a nap

How many of you actually take 30-minute naps? If you don’t, you should. Naps alone can improve your overall mood, performance and alertness. Don’t feel guilty about catching some zzz’s before starting your homework or even before a Friday night out.

Have a spa day

Paint your nails, indulge in a charcoal face mask, or light some candles and take a bath. Put down your phone and take time to enjoy taking care of YOU. Whether that’s giving yourself a facial with friends or even going somewhere to get a massage, do it. You will feel so much better about yourself.

Learn to say “no”

This is hard for many of us, but learning when to say “no” is essential in life. It’s okay to say “no” to going out or to certain activities. We sometimes lean towards pleasing people because we don’t want to let anyone down, but we shouldn’t feel guilty about saying no in any circumstance because it’s an act of acknowledging your boundaries. This might just be the ultimate self-care practice. Say no when you need to, and yes when you want to.

Take some time alone

Declutter your room and organize your desk. Play your favorite playlist and clean out your closet. Limit yourself from social media for a day. Meditate for 15 minutes. Go outside in the sun. Take some time out of your day to be alone. Actually, binge your favorite Netflix show and chill.  It’s refreshing and important.

Take yourself on a date

Yes, you. Whether it’s going to the beach by yourself or going to a coffee shop and sitting with a good book, do something that’s going to make yourself content. It doesn’t have to be fancy, but it’s the simple things that matter.

All gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Her Campus at Florida State University.